'Shame!' DHS Sec. Nielsen shouted down at Mexican restaurant, exits to loud protests

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2018/06/19/chinga-la-migra.html

10 Likes

self awareness: fail

30 Likes

Good. If there’s any justice she’ll be run out of grocery stores and even gas station bodegas.

Produce costs as little as it does primarily because of migrant labor.

It’d be ironic if she’d never have a bite to eat again for her sins

40 Likes

She’s welcome to eat humble pie anytime she likes.

31 Likes

I can suggest something more appropriate for her, her boss, and anyone else who supports this policy to eat.

20 Likes

Try not to be so feckless next time, Secretary.

12 Likes

A little good news in an otherwise completely fucked up day / month / year. Hope her butt heals.

17 Likes

Or crow for that matter.

15 Likes

Meanwhile, at the Department of Homeland Security:

“Let’s think this through; the Secretary was criticized for eating at a Mexican restaurant while we are treating Central American refugees like dirt. Why don’t we brainstorm some other culinary choices she could make? Kurt?”

“Thanks Jim . Let’s see- there’s Indian food… but they’re brown and the food has a lot of flavor. We could maybe try Persian or Syrian food…? No, on second thought, let’s just take a mulligan on the whole Middle East. How about Slavic? Russian maybe? Mmh, yah, you’re right the optics are bad there. Wait, wait… got it… North Korean, we’re winning big on North Korea! What’s that? The North Korean people are starving? Well, shit. It’s that or McDonald’s and the Secretary’s on a diet. I say we go for it…”

21 Likes

Roger That!

4 Likes

Lutefisk - for every meal.

18 Likes

They could have just spit on her food.

2 Likes

Doesn’t anyone realize that the endgame here is that—after a few weeks of protests—they finally “capitulate” and “let” families stay together while they ran them through a kafkaesque nightmare of dehumanizing legal torture?

5 Likes

Nice. Would have only been better if it hadn’t been and activist organization, but just regular people who happened to be dining and working there when she walked in. I hope to see this continue.

7 Likes

Lutefisk - for every meal.

I think that may contravene the Geneva Conventions. (shivers)

ETA : Perhaps an accompaniment of Durian fruit on Sundays? For the vitamins, of course.

5 Likes

I have heard that before, but didn’t know exactly what is was. My favorite part of the Wiki page -
“It is important not to marinate the fish too long in the lye because saponification of the fish fats may occur.”
Mmm, fish soap.

10 Likes

Someone should make an app that lets users know when one of the regime’s officials is dining at a restaurant or otherwise trying to enjoy an evening out. That way anyone present (customers or staff) can immediately protest in their own way. Call it ScumBg.

25 Likes

Don’t be such a grinch. Ms. Nielsen is a very important person, deserving of only the finest kæstur hákarl.

18 Likes

Septa Unella has spoken.

13 Likes

We should take it to the next level, and make sure that no ICE employee can eat anywhere without the customers and the kitchen staff knowing what they do for a living. Maybe we could buy their realtime location info from Verizon.

22 Likes