DC Comics kills Batman image because China insisted it was supporting the Hong Kong protests

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/12/01/capitulation.html

2 Likes

“So now Batman loves money more than justice?” asked one commenter.

Well, he is a billionaire.

40 Likes

Goes to show that in a global capitalist economy, things can quickly slide downhill to the worst common denominator.

Edit: I should have said, in an extremist unregulated global croney-capitalist economy, things always will slide downhill to the worst common denominator, and outright oligarchical kleptocracy will certainly be the result.

14 Likes

I saw this play out as it was happening, one of the Chinese users complained that Batman’s black attire was clearly a reference to the HK protesters.

13 Likes

Maybe they removed it because it’s really not that good a drawing. It’s really weird and fucked up looking.

(No, I get it. They removed it because of China. But still…)

2 Likes

I think it looks cool. It’s obviously not traditional Batman, but it’s not supposed to be.

1 Like

Surely the great Bruce Wayne could afford something better than a mere cocktail!

5 Likes

It’s an artisan handcrafted molotov cocktail.

11 Likes

Clearly, because Batman has never worn black before…

6 Likes

The future is money

3 Likes

I’m sure that this doesn’t help his case with angry Wiebo users; but he’s only been wearing black since a decade before than the contemporary Chinese government has existed.

Clearly part of a sinister long game by western imperialist interests and domestic splittist elements.

5 Likes

That bottle held DRC Domaine de la Romanée-Conti Grand Cru before Bruce told Alfred to pour it down the sink and refill it with petrol.

@Grey_Devil The Future is bright! The Future is burning!

2 Likes

I get that it’s not traditional batman. And that’s fine. But the arm and the lines of his back that lead to it are just off in a weird way.

1 Like

And he’s covered in kelp for some reason.

2 Likes

The worst thing about China is how fickle and soft skinned its government is - and how much power it has over everything.

I’m sure there is stuff Trump doesn’t like out there. Like a satire work in Europe. Or a work that just implies reference to Trump. But even if Trump went on Twitter and said it was garbage, they wouldn’t remove said reference because even he wouldn’t officially prohibit them from doing business in the US.

Conversely, that is exactly the sort of thing that can happen in China. It’s one of the dangers of both authoritarianism, and their brand of Communism where the state controls many of the companies directly, and all of them indirectly.

7 Likes

Too bad that there aren’t any other symbolic figures in black…

8 Likes

What does the red symbolise?

2 Likes

Sure, but Batman’s also a cat person.

Fozzie%20Bear%20-%20Waka%20Waka%2C%20Tomatoes

6 Likes

Maybe it was this version that made the authorities so worried and insecure …

2 Likes

Government censorship must be resisted and ground to dust.

1 Like