Deadline for Trump to testify in his rape trial passes

Originally published at: Deadline for Trump to testify in his rape trial passes | Boing Boing

10 Likes

It seems that the primary defense is that Trump should have never been subjected to this peasant’s trial in the first place as rich famous stars are above the law. I don’t think that this is going to play well.

22 Likes

Even these lawyers are smart enough to know Trump can’t control his mouth for 60 seconds and is likely to blurt out some unscripted admission bragging about assaulting women.
Here’s hoping the jury does the right thing :crossed_fingers:

28 Likes

I doubt that Trump will see much actual jail time; he’ll spend most of it being transported too and from his multitudinous trails.

13 Likes

Or he was setting up the excuse that “I could have testified and cleared it up all in an instant, but the mean judge wouldn’t let me. It was a rotten trial!”.

If he loses, he’ll probably still say that. :man_shrugging:

21 Likes

This is a civil trial and unfortunately will not result in any jail time no matter what the jury decides. (Maybe particularly egregious behavior towards the judge could result in a contempt of court ruling with some limited jail time, but since Trump isn’t there in person to piss off the judge, and the trial is almost over, that’s probably not going to happen.)

20 Likes

In this play, Trump’s mouth is a character unto its own.

8 Likes
10 Likes

This, and he will also blame his attorneys, despite their fawning loyalty, they will eventually be branded never-Trumpers. Or Antifa.

15 Likes

He will be transported in his ridiculous jet and the costs will be covered by the rube donors.

8 Likes

Even if he’s found “not guilty” in this trial - and others - he is criminally stupid.

7 Likes

There was a moment in court between the judge and Trump’s lawyer where this was pretty much acknowledged - Trump’s lawyer explaining the contradictory messages about whether Trump would appear in court despite the fact that he definitely wasn’t, saying something to the effect of “you know what I have to deal with here…”

The judge went well out of his way to give Trump opportunities to testify (even after Trump’s lawyer definitively said he wasn’t going to), probably in order to nip such accusations in the bud. Which will work to prevent appeals, but obviously won’t stop Trump from claiming it. (Which he’ll always do anyways, regardless of facts.)

I suspect it wasn’t so calculated on Trump’s part, though - someone asked him why he wasn’t at the trial testifying, so he felt like he’d look weak if he didn’t at least say he was going to do it, regardless of his actual intentions.

I was listening to some lawyers talking about how in any other circumstances, the judge would have slapped a gag order on the case (because of how the defendant was behaving online), but didn’t in this case precisely because he didn’t want to have to deal with a contempt of court issue, which would have required sending Trump to jail. It’s an issue no one wants to have to deal with, for obvious reasons.

10 Likes

He had a conflict. He was subpoenaed by the golf club.

9 Likes

He could have easily just ignored the lawsuit and just taken a default judgment. Then he would be spared a trial or a public statement by a court that he raped her. But of course he would have to pay the full amount of the lawsuit.

5 Likes

Which is why it was hilarious that the plaintiff’s used Trump’s videotaped deposition against him.

The defense could not use any of that testimony without Trump appearing in person. It would be hearsay. But the other side can always use public admissions by their adversaries. Its an exception to hearsay.

(Basically 2nd hand testimony can’t be used unless it is to attack the person giving it)

9 Likes

RHCP inspired:

PUT HIM AWAY, PUT HIM AWAY, PUT HIM AWAY NOW

6 Likes

In a default there is probably still a hearing to prove up damages. So Carroll probably could have given testimony that would not reflect well on him. Worse for TFG might be that a default is an admission that the allegations of the complaint are true, and his ego can’t handle that. Easier to lie that the jury was paid off.

4 Likes

He’s leaking on himself.

7 Likes

Well, there always was a suspicion he wears Depends… :safety_pin:

4 Likes

This is a civil, not criminal, trial. No jailtime, but some good, old fashioned humiliation would be nice.

4 Likes