Trump's weekend of witness intimidation

Originally published at: Trump's weekend of witness intimidation | Boing Boing

6 Likes

Any other defendant would likely be thrown in the slammer for such blatant attempts to intimidate witnesses and potential jurors. I’m hoping the judge will at least take his phone away or block him from using social media. It’s going to be real interesting when he says something meant to incite violence or obstruct justice on the campaign trail and there’s the very real possibility of him being enjoined from making speeches.

20 Likes

Of course that part was code for “This judge has dark skin AND a uterus! I mean, come ON!”

15 Likes

“Motion to change venue to another district where everyone likes me and big, burly men cry and say ‘Thank you, sir’”

20 Likes

There aren’t enough :roll_eyes: emojis in the world.

20 Likes

:roll_eyes::roll_eyes::roll_eyes::roll_eyes::roll_eyes::roll_eyes::roll_eyes::roll_eyes::roll_eyes::roll_eyes::roll_eyes::roll_eyes::roll_eyes::roll_eyes::roll_eyes::roll_eyes::roll_eyes::roll_eyes::roll_eyes::roll_eyes::roll_eyes::roll_eyes::roll_eyes::roll_eyes::roll_eyes::roll_eyes::roll_eyes::roll_eyes::roll_eyes::roll_eyes::roll_eyes::roll_eyes::roll_eyes::roll_eyes::roll_eyes::roll_eyes::roll_eyes::roll_eyes::roll_eyes::roll_eyes::roll_eyes::roll_eyes::roll_eyes::roll_eyes::roll_eyes::roll_eyes::roll_eyes::roll_eyes::roll_eyes::roll_eyes::roll_eyes::roll_eyes::roll_eyes::roll_eyes::roll_eyes::roll_eyes::roll_eyes::roll_eyes::roll_eyes::roll_eyes::roll_eyes::roll_eyes::roll_eyes::roll_eyes::roll_eyes::roll_eyes::roll_eyes::roll_eyes::roll_eyes::roll_eyes::roll_eyes::roll_eyes::roll_eyes::roll_eyes::roll_eyes::roll_eyes::roll_eyes::roll_eyes::persevere::no_mouth::thinking: It appears that you are correct.

24 Likes

Trump could just tell the judge “but this is how I make my living now, if I can’t rile people up how do I get donations? So unfair!”

15 Likes

IIRC, they tried that, and it was denied.

At the least. I imagine they started off with what they did with the express intent of giving TFG enough rope to hang himself with, not that he needs anymore…

11 Likes

That was my thought as well. Though I don’t know that I could’ve guessed he’d go less than 24 hours before violating those instructions. I have to wonder if he’s daring the judge to restrict his speech so he can rile up his followers to unleash hell. Or he is just too stupid to understand the restrictions that were placed on him. Those aren’t mutually exclusive, I’ll admit.

13 Likes

Where’s Judge Chamberlain Haller when you need him?
YARN | Would you like to go for two counts of contempt? | My Cousin Vinny (1992) | Video clips by quotes | 4dc1dc81 | 紗

19 Likes

The thing is, this circus has become a pay-for-view-event in his mind.

15 Likes

The answer lies somewhere in between but it is high time he faces the music.

I’d be fine with the Manual Noriega treatment.

7 Likes

how much rope are they going to hand him before actually hanging him?

4 Likes

Let’s be honest, any one else would already be in jail for contempt, but the specter of being the first to jail a former president will stay the Judge’s hand…this time.

I give him 2, maybe 3, more flagrant violations before she’s had enough and throws his lardy, faux-orange ass in jail. Though I’d love to be wrong…and this judge does seem to take absolutely no shit from other 1/6 defendants…so maybe there’s some slim hope.

7 Likes

I would expect an explicit gag order before jail time.

9 Likes

Yeah, my wife (Big Law attorney) and I have been texting about this all day, and that’s her take as well, there will be bright, mile-wide red lines laid down by the Judge, and then when he waltzes over them, it will be clear to everyone (including his lawyer that’s desperately doing yeoman’s work trying to rearrange the deck chairs on the Titan (yes that was purposeful) on every media channel possible) that he’s not going to comply minus gravely serious consequences (i.e. jail…including the strip search and anal cavity search…which I am oddly looking forward to him being humiliated that way…I know, I’m a bad person).

5 Likes

He’s a celebrity-he should just love it when someone grabs him by the prick.

4 Likes

“when you’re a star jailer, they just let ya do it” :rofl:

6 Likes

I could see a smart defense attorney trying to get communications limitations on his client just to keep him out of trouble. Would make a good plot where the D.A’s arguing that he needs his phone and the defense is begging for it to be taken away.

9 Likes

Jailing Trump pending his trial, as appropriate as it may seem, will not be completely straightforward because unlike other defendants he is entitled to Secret Service protection, and the problem of what to do if the protectee is in jail hasn’t come up before, so there are no standard procedures (yet). At least one positive aspect, though, is that the Secret Servicie would no longer have to deal with the security demands of the guy travelling all over the place.

The next best thing would probably be to place him under house arrest after confiscating anything he owns that can have an IP address.

8 Likes