Deadly snake interrupts former US Champ's tennis match — and changes his luck

Originally published at: Deadly snake interrupts former US Champ's tennis match — and changes his luck - Boing Boing

4 Likes

the-difference-between-poisonous-and-venomous-animals

14 Likes

Dominic just needed a snake break…

4 Likes

Welcome to Australia, where everything is trying to kill you!

8 Likes

13 Likes

Thiem should start carrying a rubber snake in his gear for good luck now.

4 Likes

14 Likes

And that’s how we like it :slight_smile:

5 Likes

So sad…

8avg20

14 Likes

Go Team Snake!

5 Likes

Yeah, let the nope-rope play, gosh.

5 Likes

I’m just glad the word “wrangler”- the cheap Sears brand jeans my mom bought me growing up- is a legit word in use across the English speaking world. Or do Aussies have some other word, with too many syllables that sounds like either a Native word or possibly made up by a drunk?

Edit: well I owe Wrangler jeans an apology. Seems their history predates Sears and they were well regarded in some circles.

4 Likes

I grew up in WV, where “snake wrangler” brings to mind drunk rednecks trying to stuff rattlesnakes into a bag.

Who knew? They do this stupid shit in TX too!

6 Likes

Then there are SNL’s Snake Handling O’Sheas

Or their IRL inspiration

5 Likes

4 Likes

That Rattlesnake Roundup seems like a more-dangerous version of the Christmas bird count or maybe a fishing tourney might be a better analogy. My question is how one marks a snake after it’s been weighed.

3 Likes

Spray paint? It doesn’t lick itself and the skin will shed soon enough.

1 Like

For a deadly snake the folks in that video don’t seen to be keeping a safe distance.

1 Like

Ohhh, that makes sense. I was thinking they were trying to tag them. You made me realize that they probably just don’t want three guys bringing in the same five rattlesnakes over and over, so they spray paint them with a yellow or purple stripe.

1 Like

They claim that they

mark them according to where they were found […] All of the snakes displayed at the event are later returned unharmed to the spot in which they were found.

Looks like they paint the rattle (which is essentially dead skin):

This does mean that the paint won’t come off with their next slough, as the rattle isn’t shed.

Better for the snakes than the Sweetwater roundup, anyway, where they kill and dismember them.

1 Like