Death is freedom: Republicans pass Obamacare repeal bill

16 Likes

I did, but I pay attention. The hairstyles help give it away., and the ties. But at just a glance - nope!

And I realize, @alahmnat, that you didn’t create it.

2 Likes

Sometimes, I think that those non-empathetic, irrational, self-obsessed morons that want to get rid of the necessities of life for everyone but themselves are doing it all JUST TO GET ATTENTION. Because with folks like that, any attention is better than none. But that’s just me.

5 Likes

That certainly could be part of it.

3 Likes

Truly they are “The Stepford Wankers”.

11 Likes

* Get rid of First-past-the-post voting.

2 Likes

In essence: while the intent may not be misogynistic, with the speaker having in mind a completely gender-neutral prostitute, the effect in the actual world we live in is still misogynistic. It also devalues sex-work, which is unfairly maligned in our culture. And it’s a cultural taint that affect female sex-workers much more than the males.

4 Likes

Someone got legislation through that removed that exemption: https://mcsally.house.gov/media-center/press-releases/house-unanimously-passes-mcsally-bill-striking-ahca-exemptions-members If AHCA passes.

Nice, but not much of a consolation for someone like me with a host of pre-existing conditions.

5 Likes

Would like to read more and see context so do you have a link to the source, please?

From the Torygraph - http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/conservative/11911888/Taxpayers-Alliance-Cut-pensioner-benefits-now-they-will-be-dead-in-2020-anyway.html

Thanks for that. Enlightening. Odious as his comments were, I guess one has to acknowledge their cynically pragmatic logic.

(Though it was someone from The Taxpayers’ Alliance, not the Conservative Party, even if it is a safe bet the gentleman in question is a Tory supporter. Liam Fox seemed to be on the same page, though, even if rather less specific. So just a tad misleading to say “The Tories have described…”)

ETA could not resist editing Mr Fox (it annoys him when people don’t call him Dr).

Speaking at the conference last night, Dr Liam Fox told the audience that now was the time for the government to make further cuts to pensioner benefits.

Dr Fox told the audience: "This is the time to fix the roof.

“We have a broken opposition. We have just won a general election and we need now to take the tough decisions we believe are right shaft the people who voted for us but have no recourse and no way to damage us electorally for at least another 4-5 years.

1 Like

2 Likes

If so, then some crashes are necessary. Especially considering that at least people wouldn’t have to worry about their health.

3 Likes

Goddamn raccoons. Like asshole cats with thumbs.

Convinced in another million or two years they’ll be a sentient species as well.

1 Like

The only animals I love more than the goofy ones that reside in my house are raccoons. The first stuffed animal I ever loved was a raccoon I named Rocky. I also might possess a small collection of Randy Rowe raccoon paintings…

3 Likes

4 Likes

The people in power so focused on “winning” can’t even be assed to read the damn bill.

4 Likes

Well, it’s time for said older Americans to ante up with the vote, because they’re now in Darwin territory.

1 Like

Necessary, perhaps. Survivable? This, I worry about. See, @TheGreatParis says that America can back away from the precipice one step at a time. And it’s a nice image, sure, but what I fear is the case—if I may extend the metaphor—is that America’s gone over the precipice and is now in freefall. And taking steps back from that doesn’t work.

I fear that all paths from the current situation go through a political singularity on the other side of which is a political arrangement unimaginable at present. Perhaps it is a much better country. Perhaps it is ruin.

I don’t think anyone can tell which.

2 Likes