Death metal flautist

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/04/05/death-metal-flautist.html

3 Likes

Ian Anderson missed his true calling.

8 Likes

Just one more example to myself that I just don’t think I will ever “get” Death Metal music… (Though the flute part was pretty cool.)

4 Likes

I think I prefer the classics.

2 Likes

When is metal not metal? Apparently when you add a flute.

3 Likes

Dethro Tull

18 Likes

tumblr_oo1fpl92C31vjfs5ho1_400

10 Likes

I don’t think this is death metal and people have been making folk metal for a while now

13 Likes

/\ this.

Some folk metal is quite good, too! A big name I hear come up often is Korpiklaani

2 Likes

Didn’t Jethro Tull weirdly win an award (Grammy?) as a heavy metal band? Wouldn’t Death Metal just be the next logical step in the progression?

9 Likes

This reminds me of the other Folk-Death Metal band that has a flutist… And a song called “Bersærkergang” (that sounds nothing like the OP, but is awesome nonetheless).

3 Likes

Yes! They’re quite good - amazing music videos, too.

Folk metal is my favorite sub-genre, and can be quite complex music. Tyr being my favorite.

2 Likes

To me it sounds more like dubstep.

1 Like

That’s right: Jethro Tull’s “Crest of a Knave” won the first ever Grammy in the category, beating out groups like Metallica.

4 Likes

No. This is power-metal, with a bit of folky Finntroll-ishness thrown in.

I fully expect someone to roll their eyes at me for caring about the distinction, but hey. No-one seems to bat an eyelid over electro and hip-hop being different.

3 Likes

Woohoo! We are going to have an internet slapfight about what subgenre Tyr belongs to!

(Love Tyr!)

2 Likes

Hah! Man, I thought this might happen. I suppose they could be considered symphonic, too. What would you put them under?

1 Like

I would say Power Metal. With some folky elements. Not that I was being serious about the internet slap fight…

1 Like

What about a flute bustin’ Prussian?

2 Likes

NO FUCK YOU!

Wait, is that how we do this? I’m so confused.

3 Likes