Scientists study the psychology of death metal

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2018/11/05/scientists-study-the-psycholog.html

3 Likes

Brutal!!!

8 Likes

There is also an aspect of counterculture. The heavy metal ethos is generally to grind someone’s gears, be it The Establishment or just your mom.

5 Likes

Please don’t grind my mum.

Also:
METAL!! :metal:

15 Likes

From my experience of having quite a few friends that were deep into all the various kinds of metal:

-Quite a lot of them love the music because of the raw skill involved by the musicians.

-They’re into it because it inherently has a smaller community compared to other genres and it creates a camaraderie they seek out

-Related to the previous point, it’s an alternative genre that most don’t dabble into so its their way of rebelling against the norm or expressing their individuality

-Most of the metal heads i grew up knowing in Venezuela were all super talented and smart people. I don’t have current American friends that are metal heads but would not be surprised if its the same here.

There’s also a lowkey kind of dark sardonic humor to metal that metalheads enjoy, i’m sure some of them love seeing people react to their music taste.

6 Likes

And people who listen to Huey Lewis and the News are murdering psychopaths.

18 Likes

:notes: “Happy to be stabbing you!” :musical_note:

6 Likes
2 Likes

NEEDZ MOAW UMLAUTZ!!!

4 Likes

ä Ä ö Ö ü Ü

4 Likes

7 Likes

[insert American Psycho gif here]

3 Likes

psych

4 Likes

tenor

2 Likes

“I’m not, like, a psychiatrist or anything, but I am pretty sure the psychology is brutal.”

But the truth is, the psychology of Death Metal is seeking approval via banana stickers.

6 Likes
4 Likes

I always thought was a shame that Norwegian Death Metal bands didn’t seem to get the joke.

3 Likes

It’s not a scene i’m into so i would hesitate to sound like i know what i’m talking about, but i would guess they’re in on it just as much as they take it seriously. Nordic countries do have a particular type of sense of humor that i appreciate. But i am equally content to make fun of how ridiculous death metal is.

2 Likes

I think that burning down stave churches is maybe taking the whole joke a bit too far.

3 Likes

Well there’s always assholes and crazy people everywhere. I’m sure i could easily find some in Country music.

3 Likes