Deleted video shows Marjorie Taylor Greene berating AOC through office mailbox slot

Even though these groups have by now in some form or another “dissolved”, for something like this breed of decentralized hate group, would it be possible to label it a terrorist organization in the same vein as the Proud Boys and Girls of America?

2 Likes

I know it’s a different country, but she would have been banned from the Houses of Parliament in the UK by now, elected politician or not. Does the US not have any similar provisions for dealing with dangerous people?

17 Likes

Short answer: no.

In theory yes, but in practice no.

15 Likes

berating AOC through office mailbox slot

Hey, have a little compassion; it’s gotta be tough being a Republican woman who identifies as mail.

33 Likes

10 Likes

Honestly, MTG’s worst nightmare should be that she actually confronts AOC alone and AOC decides to throw down. I suspect it would be a quick “no contest.”

20 Likes

What makes you think she didn’t? It’s completely within the realm of possibility considering MGT’s other pre-school antics.

This woman does not comport herself as an adult. My son’s kindergarten class was more mature.

14 Likes

I tried to watch it, and found it honestly unwatchable. I couldn’t even skip through it.

Just the sheer smug shittiness of Greene and her minions, glorying in the video they’re making, and knowing on some level that they don’t even have a point. The shittiness is the point. She gets to relish the ability to be absolute low-grade middle-school bullying trash with zero actual consequences.

AOC’s staff were right to shut her out, and I hope they continue to keep denying Greene the direct video of AOC that will give her the shittiness attention bump Greene is seeking.

It’s making me consider this particular kind of toxic narcissism as a communicable disease. I’d like to think that the people catching it at least have some excuse, like some pre-existing condition of internal pain. But sometimes also people can turn bad just because they like it.

I guess people like Greene are the price we pay for having all the other people who actually benefit the world. Very aggravating though.

8 Likes

The debate would be a complete shitshow and pointless.

31 Likes

Romper Room was a highly respected kids’ show created by professionals.

Hillbillies are proud of where they come from, but are just as likely to be educated or not, worldly or not, and progressive or not as any other subset of American citizens.

Lazy insults are not acceptable around here.

13 Likes

“come out and play” is straight out of the script of a school bully in an 80s movie. A congresswoman reenacting Mean Girls must be a new low level of farce.

I will die on the hill that treating government jobs as a popularity contest will keep selecting the worst kind of people.

20 Likes

People are talking about her having a mental illness, but … I think most of it is calculated (hopefully miscalculated in the end), and she is the epitome of the grown up, entitled mean girl bully who has always gotten her way and sees no reason to stop now. All of this feeds her agenda. Will she go over the deep end? If she miscalculates, yes, but I think she knows where “the line” is, and may teeter on the edge, but pull back.

17 Likes

The relevant concept from Sellen and Harper’s Myth of the Paperless Office is co-evolution of workflow and medium.

3 Likes

If I had an office there, I’d make it a point to keep one of those old-fashioned seltzer water dispensers, to spray Greene in the face when she tries to yell through my mail slot.

23 Likes

ISWYDT.

(But in reality she’s junk mail. Don’t look at it, don’t open it, put it straight in the trash.)

8 Likes

Careful, that counts as battery, and you know MGT (Q, GA) would press charges.

10 Likes

totally worth it matthew perry GIF

16 Likes

Were anyone to do this to MTG, she would shoot them and claim self-defense. She is the worst kind of trolling bully and absolutely would not be able to handle a reversal of this treatment.

22 Likes

Is that actually true? How bad would it need to get before she actually suffered repercussions? Is it just like everything else where her colleges would need to take a stand?

1 Like

I’m not, because that’s a flaggable offense here, for very good reason - it stigmatizes mental illness and excuses active forms of bigotry, such as racism, which are deeply rooted in our society. We want to deal with people like her, we have to do the larger, systemic work to fix our society more generally.

22 Likes