Democracy-hating Missouri attorney general loses bid to keep legalized abortion amendment off ballot

Originally published at: Democracy-hating Missouri attorney general loses bid to keep legalized abortion amendment off ballot | Boing Boing

10 Likes

I have no idea why voters in my state vote for such idiots for office. The mere idea apparently of voting for anyone other than Republican or Democrat just vapor locks their brains

2 Likes

Isn’t Bailey a Republican? Which is another kind of vapour-lock vote.

13 Likes

This is insane. They’re blocking ballot measures because they know their own conservative voters would do something different than what they personally want. There’s not even a shred of pretence of democracy left in some of these administrations. I only hope said conservative voters see what’s happening here and vote those people out.

8 Likes

Meanwhile, in Texas, infant deaths are up 10% since their own abortion ban was enacted:

‘Some 2,200 infants died in Texas in 2022 – an increase of 227 deaths, or 11.5%, over the previous year, according to preliminary infant mortality data from the Texas Department of State Health Services that CNN obtained through a public records request. Infant deaths caused by severe genetic and birth defects rose by 21.6%. That spike reversed a nearly decade-long decline. Between 2014 and 2021, infant deaths had fallen by nearly 15%.’

https://edition.cnn.com/2023/07/20/health/texas-abortion-ban-infant-mortality-invs/index.html

The ‘Pro Life’ zealots don’t care about the cruelty, the trauma and the unnecessary suffering, they just want victory.

9 Likes

You’re only wishing a horrible death on women.

5 Likes

I’m not convinced the zealots responsible like Clarence Thomas and Brett Kavanaugh have much chance of that.

3 Likes

And then what happens to the baby born from that tragedy?

That’s sadistic, not supportive of human and civil rights.

4 Likes

Aside from the AG resorting to motivated mathematics that would make the DEA blush; does anyone know why, and in more detail how, the AG’s(because lawyers are suitable subject matter experts in accounting and economics?) opinion on what a ballot initiative would cost is even relevant to the process?

Is it an artifact of some sort of anti-tax “enumerating the burdensome burden of burdensome regulations” thing that requires an alarming price tag be affixed to proposals? Some sort of state-level GAO analog?

I’m…profoundly skeptical…of the theory that abortion being legal would somehow cost at least $12 billion a year(especially when the auditor sent to look into it does not agree; but I’m having a harder time formulating the right query for the question of why the AG’s opinion on the price is a required part of the process.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.