Democrat Doug Jones beats cowboy cosplay creep Roy Moore in Alabama senate race

Good. The left spends way too much time patting itself on the back over winning small battles while the right is busy blitzkrieging its way to Paris.

This as always is the major thing with Dems. Turnout. Turnout. Turnout. There are simply too many people on the non insane side of the pie for the current iteration of the GOP to succeed if a larger portion of the population begins to vote.

Its exactly why the GOP is so dedicated to voter suppression. Exactly why they went after the voting rights act. Exactly why they’re so invested in Gerrymandering. Without some sort of idealogical shift that could attract new groups to their coalition (one that would require abandoning ideas that are absolutely the core attraction for the few groups they have now), they need to keep the electorate as small and restricted as possible to succeed.

I’ve long thought that was the case. Looking at the '16 primary results. Before other candidates started to drop out, pile on effects, and partisan “support your guy” stuff started to get involved. He was peaking around 1/3 of republican primary voters. That doesn’t speak to a particularly large chunk of republicans being truly in his base, real true believers.

Its “real americans”, silent majority, moral majority all over again. A very, very, very vocal but ultimately small block with outsized influence. That we’re repeatedly told is most people. Even when it clearly isn’t. There’s a hell of a lot more of these people than we’d all prefer. But ultimately they keep shouting about how “everyone agrees with us!”. And convince themselves if they just show up with enough tiki torches “everyone” will join in. But day of they find themselves vastly out numbered.

As it was happening they were putting it on Shelby and blaming establishment Republicans. Slightly down the page it was all “investigate Mueller!” nonsense.

4 Likes

I was thoroughly amused by this guy’s thread on just how batshit the idea of out-of-state voters “stealing” the election is (I’ll leave it to you to click through, dear reader, 'cause posting entire Twitter threads seems excessive):

12 Likes

Actually it didn’t take very long. He’s been tweeting about how he originally backed Luther Strange because he thought Moore didn’t have a chance.

It doth appear that the cheeto fingered vulgarian’s bike only goes reverse.

3 Likes

Rogers is awesome, and he knows his way around a con. Hence why the current crop of idiots in power frustrate him so much: they’re so bad at it.

3 Likes

Holy shit, I just might fluv him :

15/ I'm sorry, I know this is dumb, but I used to write cons & heists for a living. And very few things piss me off like sloppy heist plotting. And racism. So this is a two-fer.

— John Rogers (@jonrog1) December 13, 2017

*lmao

10 Likes

3 Likes

Well, they both encourage people to think.
Which, in this day and age, is tantamount to terrorism.

1 Like

Oh, cake. Definitely cake.

Possibly death by cake, if needs be.

3 Likes

11 Likes

What mindless “reactionary movement” are you talking about?

Are you talking about Sanders? So, its terrifying that the nation might stampede away from Trump-- and right into single-payer healthcare and subsidized student loans? Truly, that would be the darkest timeline.

6 Likes

Yeah, that would be positively European. Before you knew it, folks would be smoking Gauloises and shrugging all over the place.

3 Likes

Thread:

7 Likes

13 Likes

Ces jours, mon petit-déjeuner préferé est du pain au chevre et basilic avec un tasse du thé de Mariage Frères.

(N’a pas amélioré mon français, cependant.)

3 Likes

I love the way they pronounce pain in the south of France.

On a tangent, the best croissants I ever had, I had for breakfast at Bruxelles.
20 years ago; I can still taste then whem I concentrate.

Now I’m hungry.

4 Likes

I think I would like to learn more about this “brohibition” idea.

9 Likes

Bernie Sanders and his movement are anything but reactionary. I’m assuming that the reactionary movement in question is the far-right.

8 Likes

Per NPR this morning, Dems are funding and running for about a dozen or so seats in Texas… and they feel that they can snag at least 4 of those.

UPDATE: In Reaction To Trump, Democratic Candidates Surge In Deep-Red Texas : NPR

4 Likes

Here in Texas i’d say that’s quite possible, interested to see how it’ll shake out.

2 Likes