Democrat voters fondly recall presidency of George W. Bush

1 anti-Trump tweet = 1,000,000 Iraqi lives

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

11 Likes

Cancer has a funny way of making you miss a cold.

44 Likes

25 Likes

Not this Democrat. Not now, not ever.

26 Likes

As much as I hate Dubya (although as the article suggests not as much as our current president), the use of “democratic” rather than “democrat” to describe the party is a bit dishonest. But then so is the term “Republican”. Neither party should have been given such generic terms. I like countries where the parties are given honest “liberal” vs “conservative” names.

5 Likes

O_O

Just because W. is less unbelievably-fucking-horrible than 45 is, that still doesn’t make him “good.”

Some people’s “bar” is so ‘low,’ it might as well be buried 6 feet under at the bottom of Death Valley…

34 Likes

Fixed that for ya.

7 Likes

It isn’t dishonest, it is the name of the party. You can argue with their choice of name, but it had a purpose back in the day, and it was descriptive, not an attempt to trick anyone.

The truncation to “Democrat” is an intentional slur that way precedes W, and while Rob gets a pass for using it since he’s not from around these parts, he shouldn’t use it, lest people mistake him for a Rush Limbaugh fan.

7 Likes

Was it descriptive? Before FDR it certainly wasn’t the party of the people as the name implies. Arguably not until LBJ, honestly.

Oh, give him time.

2 Likes

What I’m getting here seems half baked.

9 Likes

The thing is, those of us who remember Reagan thought things had reached a nadir then. Probably the case for Nixon as well, although I wasn’t old enough, and in retrospect ignoring Watergate and Vietnam, Nixon was probably to the left of most current candidates of either party.

13 Likes

NO!

Oh, I’m old enough to remember Reagan wasn’t the perfect patron saint of all things conservative; like the GOP likes to pretend he was, with an extra thick coating of sugar and rose-colored nostalgia.

13 Likes

Trump makes me wistful for fucking Nixon.

2 Likes

Until Trump officially kicks off his nuclear holocaust, I’m still holding W as our worst modern president. A sizable chunk of what is troubling about Trump is what his words and actions are leading to. W started a war that killed a million human beings and brought back torture and detention without trial as American policy positions. That isn’t the type of thing I can brush off because he isn’t as anti-immigrant as the rest of his party.

28 Likes

I don’t think I ever hated Bush as a person, he seemed like a nice enough guy who was just not very inquisitive or intelligent, and in wayyyyy over his head.

Dick Cheney on the other hand. . . .

Bush still has blood on his hands, but only because the “smart people” he surrounded himself with were actually heartless, manipulative ideologues.

Don’t hate the dummy, hate the ventriloquist.

19 Likes

Okay, give Pence time then. Either way, I see things getting easily as bad or worse as Bush. Not that I’m standing up for Bush in any way. Did I mention the grave pissing?

4 Likes

At least he would call the next day!

5 Likes

I hate the whole stinkin’ system.

Again;

https://global.discourse-cdn.com/boingboing/optimized/3X/3/d/3df14f64724fc9c402b4884c90c121994608f3bc_1_690x483.gif

18 Likes

Australia’s Liberal Party is its conservative party.

8 Likes