Democrats win control of Virginia House of Representatives

Originally published at: Dems take control in Virginia

4 Likes

So, does it mean Glen Youngkin’s is neutralized, or does it mean there will be a veto spree blocking the functioning of the legislature?

I am VERY happy for Virginia. My daughter living there is safer for it.

12 Likes

Both. Youngkin will not be able to get his fascist policies passed, but he will veto any attempt by the legislature to pass progressive (or even just common sense) bills. Of course, he will then claim the lege “did nothing.” But it neuters him for the remainder of his term, at least, and makes him look weak, as he was certain he could get the trifecta, instead of losing the house.
And Roem getting elevated to the Senate is just a direct “fuck you” to him, which is fine and dandy by me.

22 Likes

Also, if Republicans had won, it would have added to Youngkin’s image of leadership, the loss makes him less likely to be a player on the national stage. He had been talked about as a potential candidate for president, even in 2024.

14 Likes

I am so happy for Virginia

Happy Birthday Love GIF by Mo Willems Workshop

10 Likes

Pedantic, but it is called the House of Delegates in Virginia.
We increased our lead in the Senate now too.
Wonder if the GOP still thinks Youngkin can step in for Trumpy and make everything better for asshats?

7 Likes

Very happy for my former home state! And especially for Delegate Dan Helmer and for Senator Danica Roem!

Thanks @FSogol - I’ve only been out of VA for 6 months, you’d think I’d remember. Sheesh!

4 Likes

Hell Yeah Snl GIF by Saturday Night Live

4 Likes

Extra :heart: for the Gerald and Piggie GIF.

3 Likes

Congrats to VA; some sanity prevails.

1 Like

I feel some hope today…

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.