Dennis Rodman says Trump’s “crazy,” offers advice on North Korea

Also, one of the few remaining voices of reason in the Republican Party is the guy who played Conan the Barbarian. And one of the names being bandied about as a serious challenger to President Trump in 2020 is Dwayne “The Rock” Johnson.

23 Likes

Kanye West and Mark Zuckerberg are also possible contenders…

4 Likes

Still one of the people, including a number of top foreign politicians, saying only a diplomatic solution can work. While Trump and his mini-me in the UK, Boris “still adolescent” Johnson, believe in threats.
Rodman may or may not be an idiot but he’s making more sense than Trump or Johnson.

13 Likes

Might not be a bad thing.

True.

Also, that bar has been set so low that you’d need a deep-drilling team to find it.

11 Likes

Wait, this isn’t a shadowrun campaign?

5 Likes

If it is I wanna slap the GM. No magic. No Dragons. Getting treated like an NPC that falls under Mook Rules (You guys have that house rule right?) When I play in a cyberpunk dystopia I want to be someone important enough to be able to make things happen, not be just another face in the crowd.

5 Likes

And that Europe would now be pushing for an artificial barrier between Ireland and Northern Ireland.

3 Likes

Snark aside, in most cases, every time a dictator has been taken out from outside sources, it hasn’t ended up very well for the people living there. It usually requires a coup or revolt from the inside to control things afterwards (though this can still end bad.)

I guess there are exceptions, most notably when that dictator and country are in an actual war, but in that case the victor is usually in power for a time, until the government can be reestablished.

8 Likes

Lots of double speak going on in that regard:

"Lawmakers emerged from (yesterday’s) briefings with Defense Secretary James Mattis, Joint Chiefs Chairman Gen. Joseph Dunford, Secretary of State Rex Tillerson and Director of National Intelligence Dan Coats saying the briefers used a more measured tone than President Trump’s threat of “fire and fury” if North Korea continues its threats.

But for some Democrats that difference was concerning.

“What they said makes a lot of sense, but it is directly contradictory to everything the president says,” Sen. Chris Murphy (D-Conn.) argued.

“They’re laying out a relatively sensible strategy that is not consistent with what the president says the strategy is. They’re talking about a diplomacy-first strategy that has been clearly rejected by their boss, and it leaves the entire world scratching their head," he continued. -The Hill

5 Likes

Yes, and isn’t his running mate Tom Hanks? We may have a winner here.

4 Likes

There is a compelling reason why the president of South Korea and Prime Minister of Japan are making their own plans concerning North Korea. They both consider Trump far too stupid to deal with the situation.

7 Likes

The North Korean version of ISIS is not something anyone wants to deal with.

“Snark aside, in most cases, every time a dictator has been taken out from outside sources, it hasn’t ended up very well for the people living there”

Nazi Germany and Imperial Japan are the ultimate exceptions. There are no other examples that seem to come to mind.

1 Like

This is how far we’ve sunk. Dennis Rodman puts himself forward as the voice of reason.

8 Likes

Two societies so conditioned to obey constituted authority that Orwell used their attitude as examplars in 1984.

1 Like

That and Stalin’s USSR.

Orwell was nearly killed by the KGB when he served in the Spanish Civil War (see A Homage to Catalonia)

1 Like

No, it’s the way, way, WAY off-Broadway production of “Idiocracy the Next One: Folks Act Live!”

1 Like

It’s days like this that I really miss Larry Wilmore.

I am sure there are more exceptions, but both of those included a multi-national occupational force decently competent locals who took up the reigns of power and there was a metered transition.

Of course, this still didn’t work out well for half of Germany. It may have stopped purging Jews, but it was in a police state until the collapse of the USSR.

1 Like

Actually Stalin’s USSR was less conditioned to obey authority than the fascists, which is why they had so much trouble enforcing discipline in the Red Army. Sometimes it paid off as when the engineers decided the original T34 gun was inadequate and simply put in a bigger one rather than wait for the bureaucracy.

1 Like