Dense crowds of beachgoers soak up the disease in Florida

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/03/17/dense-crowds-of-beachgoers-soa.html

6 Likes

floridabb

42 Likes

It’s more than it should be, for sure. but that’s not a lot of people

1 Like

Couldn’t have happened to nicer people. Enjoy your plague.

3 Likes

Probably because those officials are getting elected today. (Whoops, more close virus spreading.)

4 Likes

Best illustration of social distancing yet!

12 Likes

The problem is that we need to stop even these duncecaps from getting it because sure as shit they will spread it to other less deserving people.

9 Likes

Simple solution is to set up a broad net around the mouth of the bay and release a decent size Great White into the water.

3 Likes

Honestly i’m surprised at the amount of people going out and about. I visited my folks in Houston this past weekend and i figured the streets would not be very busy but if anything it was busier than ever, people didn’t seem to be acting particularly cautious. I’m glad my job has allowed my group to work from home but not everyone is going to be able to do the same, y’all be safe ):

13 Likes

Working from home since last Thursday. I’m about ready to go nuts! This has me rethinking retirement altogether, which I’ll need to do anyway since my 401(k) is screwed.

10 Likes

Unfortunately, these aren’t Floridians, these are the nation’s college kids on spring break. Next week they’ll all be back home throughout the country.

23 Likes

I’m mostly glad i decided to focus on paying off my debts instead of putting money into a 401k (i couldn’t do both). I do think it’d be a wise idea to squirrel money away for retirement eventually but my short term goal is to be financially stable, though i know the current situation is going to make life very difficult for those that are pretty close to retirement.

10 Likes
5 Likes

According to Tampa’s WFTS, Clearwater officials may not vote on whether to close down beaches until Thursday.

No hurry, it’s not like this is a crisis, and I’m sure people will use their best judgment in the meantime.

What the fuck are you waiting for??

10 Likes

Came here for that. Back to distancing.

5 Likes

They are trying to contract the disease before the ICU beds and ventilators are all claimed by competing patients. This is what economists call “rational behavior”.

18 Likes

Now, more than ever:

Florida, the Ventilator State

1 Like

Not that I want to give this guy any publicity, but this really is a good example of how stupid Trumpers are.

17 Likes

Meanwhile, my job on campus is rather safe, as all the idiots are there. They’ve been told not to return this spring.

12 Likes

It’s Mayor Larry Vaughn from Jaws all over again.

12 Likes