Grim Reaper visits Florida beaches as Gov. DeSantis lifts COVID-19 restrictions

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/05/01/grim-reaper-visits-florida-bea.html

16 Likes

Unhappy is the land that needs a hero.

21 Likes

A plague doctor outfit would be too subtle for Florida.

20 Likes

Data to watch for in Fla aside from the obvious new cases
Evictions
Mortgage defaults
Small Businesses failing
Utility shut offs

11 Likes

The police miss the point; it’s supposed to terrify the kids - adults too.

19 Likes
18 Likes

“Where’s the White Spy?”

spy-vs-spy

10 Likes

“Guess what…I’ve got a novel coronavirus…and the only prescription…is more quarantine!”

16 Likes

I’ve heard him being called the “Swim Reaper” :rofl:

21 Likes

There’s nothing inherently dangerous about beaches. They only become dangerous when crowded. Unfortunately, if there aren’t restrictions, they will get too crowded. Even more unfortunately, the only easy restriction to manage is “not allowed at all”.

12 Likes

Woah! I expected the grim reaper to have a deeper voice. :face_with_monocle:

9 Likes
7 Likes

Yeah, he always talks in caps.

9 Likes

aa the reaper himself points out: people travel to go to those beaches. from other towns, other states, and other countries.

there’s not a whole lot of international travel going on, but from elsewhere in the states? you betcha.

exactly this. these aren’t like local neighborhood parks. these are tourist destinations.

11 Likes

18 Likes

Florida is a big place-- it’s not all for tourists. I used to live near a beautiful FL beach that wasn’t a resort. But even so, it could get crowded on the walkway/stairs over the dunes and in the public shower and bathroom areas. Although there was no boardwalk, there are convenience stores and often ice cream trucks around where people congregate. I don’t think it’s a good idea to open the beaches. It’s looking for trouble.

8 Likes

“I gotta have more quarantine, baby!”

4 Likes

This is great! From the thumbnail, I was hoping it was going to be some sort of Yes Men style culture jamming troll move, but this works too

1 Like

10 Likes

May 30th will tell.

1 Like