Miami declares a state of emergency because "black people are on the beach"

Originally published at: Miami declares a state of emergency because "black people are on the beach" | Boing Boing

10 Likes

Paley Center No GIF by The Paley Center for Media

28 Likes

I am so glad our in-laws moved the f@ck out’a that state, now I never have to go back there.

25 Likes

The article indicates two shootings are the reason for the curfew?

Feels like a leap to say it’s an anti-Black decision.

I am sure we are missing some nuance.

2 Likes

As a rule, most of Florida is missing some nuance.

34 Likes

How many other times has Miami implemented a state of emergency and curfew after shootings

26 Likes

Having lived in Florida for a decade, I can assure you it’s one of the states that is the most racially segregated, in terms of where folks live and/or partake in leisure activities.

22 Likes

chris-rock-train-never-late

https://www.gawker.com/video-of-violent-rioting-surfers-shows-white-culture-o-954939719

24 Likes

As a 30 year visitor and at times vacationer to South Beach the experience has changed recently. Most of that timespan South Beach was a place where you could cruise Ocean Drive by foot or car at any time of day. Enjoy open restaurants, party clubs, dance clubs, etc. In the past few years that has changed a lot. I blame a lot of it on City Planners that have built large concert venues nearby, allowing beach concerts that bring thousands to the park, and not managing the people just standing around in groups of several hundred people blocking sidewalks or standing in the street. City planners have gone too far in trying to attract corporate $$$$ to the beach. I don’t feel less safe in the current environment but it is more difficult to enjoy the beach atmosphere. There are more people than the community, streets, restaurants, bars, etc. are able to support.

2 Likes

There’s not an increase in murderousness over the last two decades, and previous mass shootings have often led to Republican politicians responding that the last thing we want to do is respond too quickly, as it’s too soon to talk about gun control.
https://www.fdle.state.fl.us/FSAC/Crime-Trends/Violent-Crime

ETA:
ok, there is actually a recent spike, St. Petersburg homicide rate up 140% this year - Axios Tampa Bay
but previous responses did not include curfews and states of emergency.
Morcheeba below better stated my point.

10 Likes

After a white kid killed 17 people, injured 17 more, and traumatized hundreds, there weren’t any curfews or restrictions. Instead, they brought more guns in to the schools.

You can still carry a gun on a beach in florida. You can drink with your gun on a beach. In fact, you can carry a loaded gun on the beach while totally belligerently drunk - just as long as it’s not in your hand. Or it’s ok in your hand if the bullets are in the magazine, but not yet in the chamber. Totally wasted drunk. Police can’t do anything. Insanity.

They’ll ban people on the beach before they ban guns.

28 Likes

FTFY…

27 Likes

Since @Mindysan33 didn’t already post the requisite gif response, I must:

Fuckers.

30 Likes

Oh! Thanks! Falling down on the job! :grimacing:

17 Likes

So Florida won’t shut down beaches to fight a deadly pandemic that’s killed about 18 million people, but they will shut down beaches to keep Black people off them. Wish I was more surprised.

28 Likes

Kristen Wiig Yep GIF by Where’d You Go Bernadette

15 Likes

That sounds like an issue to be addressed through new zoning ordinances rather than enacting a state of emergency.

13 Likes

“Don’t go to the beach on holidays” is one of those unwritten rules for staying safe and sane while living in Florida.

This kind of intoxicated holiday beach violence is unfortunately common in most FL beachside cities, aside from the gentrified or access-controlled ones like Sanibel or the Keys. Families and peaceful folks gravitate towards nearby state parks as the distance, entry/parking fees, and lack of adjacent bars and liquor stores tend to keep things less crowded and more civil.

It happens often enough that it’s easy to cherry pick incidents and try to label it a racial issue, but that’s BS. Getting trashed and then fighting some poor fool on the sand is just how the Florida’est Florida people of all races celebrate.

4 Likes

FTFY

Sure… it’s just a coincidence that there are Black revelers involved. Just like it was just a coincidence that Black citizens could not vote during Jim Crow… /s

15 Likes

Well, its Florida.

2 Likes