Grim Reaper visits Florida beaches as Gov. DeSantis lifts COVID-19 restrictions

Officially 46 Floridians died yesterday from COVID-19. Maybe that’s a number the Governor can live with? And yes, it will be very interesting to check back on May 31st.

5 Likes

Not all heroes wear capes.

4 Likes

What percentage of Florida beachgoers are local, and what percentage are tourists? How densely packed are these beaches under normal use?

If the tourists make up 30%, then that is a 30% drop in attendance. If you mark out the spacing well (spraypaint sand to mark separation spaces, hire more beach patrols to enforce distancing, disallow snack vendors and their lineups, close the changerooms.), then this is a wonderfully viable way to get exercise outdoors (my family is now hiking 2 hours a day on local trails. It’s the only way my wife is able to manage her claustrophobia.).

1 Like

C88

8 Likes

The way he was swinging his scythe around behind her at the end, I thought he was about to be going decapitation mode.

Also, is this handing the mic over to the interviewee going to be a thing from now on? Are newspeeps relinquishing control over what is said? Yay.

1 Like

Sharks. Riptides. Heat stroke. Big waves. More sharks (shoutout to Chatham, MA). Jellyfish. Those little annoying effing crabs. The Kraken.

Just sayin’

7 Likes

Surf nazis.

6 Likes

Story of my life. I lead with The Kraken and some dude raises me Surf Nazis.

I fold.

8 Likes

Damn. I still had one up my sleeve.

4 Likes

So now they’ve moved to self-immolation as their choice of political protest? Who knew they were such fans of Buddhist monks.

Unfortunately they’re also taking a lot of innocent people with them.

1 Like

8 Likes

Also sneaker waves.

2 Likes
4 Likes

Beaches, man.

6 Likes

Weird coincidence: I just watched this movie the night before last. Surprisingly, it wasn’t very good.

4 Likes

… Biting black flies (New Jersey). Hypodermic needles. Broken glass. Used condoms. Rusty cans and nails. Jellyfish (New Jersey). Jellyfish (Texas). Jellyfish (Florida). Tar balls (Texas). Corexit (Texas). Drunken joyriders in big all-wheeler 4x4s and ATVs.

3 Likes

Green flies.

A friend and I were pretty good at exacting our revenge on them. We would have a circle in the sand between our towels known as the Confirmed Kill Zone. We never competed to see who put the most bodies into it - it was a team effort.

4 Likes

Greenheads, my MIL calls them.
So horrible!
The welts they leave on me. Unfuckingreal. HUGE welts.

No amount of towel-snapping is enough, hand-swatting, nothing will stop them, if the wind is blowing in the “wrong” direction. My god I am desperate to learn your coping techniques. Infinite supply of those greenhead bastards.

See a deserted beach in New Jersey?
Wonder where all the people went?
Get out of the car?
Head down to water?
Wind blowing from a disadvantageous direction?

Aaaaaaand suddenly: you are lunch! All your bare skin!

:scream:

5 Likes

I…should have seen FGD135’s Surf Nazis and raised with some greenheads.

Our only coping techniques were beer, thousands of other bodies to dilute the hordes, and the satisfaction that we took down more of them than they took of us.

Eventually we got to the breaking point, though. Those things are effin’ nasty.

When it comes to swarms, though, I’ve had worse experiences with black flies.

“Wanna go camping Memorial Day weekend?”

“No.”

3 Likes

Un-be-freakin’-LEEVABLE!

Boingboing just saw my greenheads and raised me some MURDER HORNETS!

I mean…seriously…Murder hornets

6 Likes