Deputy Attorney General Rod Rosenstein not fired after all

That is a hotly contested interpretation which the Times has already refuted in subsequent updates to the story.

4 Likes

Yes, Fox News…Rosenstein is the swamp creature. :roll_eyes:

5 Likes

I was sort of banking on it being recognized as a very basic sort of sarcastic surprise that someone might not place the Philippines in Asia, but we do live in trying times and I should probably be more explicit.

3 Likes

22 Likes

That’s a totally fair point, and I think it gets addressed by people like Rosenstein (i.e. McMaster, Tillerson, etc) actually being honest with the American people about what they saw. All these people’s career’s in government in over, but the instinct to protect the status quo and not break protocol is so strong, even when the person they’re protecting is actively trying to tear the system down and replace it with nothing more than a cult of personality.

These people need to speak clearly and on the record, leaving nothing to carry for unnamed sources or fucking Omorosa. Because if they don’t, and if/when these fuckers write their books three years from now about how brave they were for doing their best in a bad situation, I hope somebody slaps the taste out of their mouth.

4 Likes

Amazingly, the signals that often accompany sarcasm IRL aren’t available to us online… it’s why I tend to include a /s in case people mistake my sarcasm for a heartfelt comment.

thanks for clarifying.

10 Likes

It’s not our current “trying times” that made your sarcasm fall flat. It was your ineptness that caused that.

Pro-tip: When in doubt, end with one of these: /s

@Mindysan33 – JINX!

5 Likes

My SO is Filipino. Her sister prefers that label–and there’s a decent claim to it too: the Philippines were populated by a mix of Malay and Polynesians long before the Spanish arrived.

But the ambiguous ethnicity of Filipinos has become a running joke. I keep joking that she grew up:

1. In Mexico
  2. In China/Korea
  3. On an Indian reservation
  4. On the island of Sardinia
  5. etc.

Of course, the joke only works because people keep speaking Spanish to her, or talking like she’s from Latin America. And sometimes, it’s people who should know better, like coworkers that have worked with her for years…

9 Likes

I think that’s fair enough. I wonder how the person in question would characterize his own identity. I suspect that there are lots of views on that.

4 Likes

Got to hand it to Trump, “Monday Morning Massacre” has a lot more alliteration going for it than the Saturday Night Massacre.

14 Likes

That is not a pro tip! That is an apprentice tip at best. Spelling out sarcasm is like explaining the joke. Total noob move. I would never. As a fellow native New Yorker, I am absolutely certain that our new acting deputy AG would have my back on this.

9 Likes

It might be postponed to the Thursday Threnody.

11 Likes

Or even the usual Fucked-up Friday Follies.

16 Likes

Whatever, we never get Sanity Saturday.

13 Likes

Rosenstein’s departure follows a story in The New York Times reporting that he suggested secretly recording the President and discussed invoking the 25th Amendment to remove him from office.

sounds like a patriot to me

6 Likes

He better not quit unless he’s got some safeguards in place.
It sounds like Trump wants Rosenstein to quit and Rosenstein wants Trump to fire him. Neither wants to give the other that satisfaction (though Trump no doubt has a very itchy trigger finger and has to be held back by Hannity), so he’s probably not going anywhere anytime too soon.

The problem is, we don’t know where that story came from - the NY Times says he said that in discussions with “White House officials.” If the White House is the source, then it can’t be trusted, given that they’ve lied about people resigning before and have strong reason to in this case. Rosenstein has said elsewhere he’s not quitting.

4 Likes

As a person of Scots-German ancestry who was born in the Philippines, I have no problem with a person of Filipino ancestry, born in America, being referred to as “Asian-American”. Can I be “Asian-America” too? I mean, it’s the “land of my birth” after all.

Or maybe the whole thing is a bit silly. De ba?

Rosenstein has until Thursday to keep funneling Mueller the goods.

3 Likes

Hmm because clearly nothing else of note will be happening on Thursday.

2 Likes