Deputy Attorney General Rod Rosenstein not fired after all

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2018/09/24/deputy-attorney-general-rod-ro.html

6 Likes

If he actually tries to do his job he’s going to be the most recent addition to a long list of lifelong Republicans tarred as part of a Democratic conspiracy against the President.

As an aside, the second sentence in his Wikipedia page reads “He is the first Asian American confirmed by the United States Senate to hold the position.”

220px-Noel_Francisco_official_photo

Uh, OK?

4 Likes

Oh crap. We’re fucked
ETA. Well, maybe not completely. Muller is very, very thorough and there is plenty that, say, the State of New York can do. Also, I am getting that he has OFFERED to resign. What the hell is really going on???

11 Likes

This could be very bad. Rosenstein’s integrity and concern for the health of the Republic is undeniable. One way or another Il Douche might be able to hobble the investigation in a way he couldn’t before.

[updated to reflect change. phew (for now)]

15 Likes

giphy%20(2)

12 Likes

Best case scenario this is the catalyst that turns Republicans against Trump just as Nixon’s “Saturday Night Massacre” was the catalyst that turned the party against him.

It could easily go the other way though.

12 Likes

The Philippines are in Asia. His father is Filipino.

22 Likes

Reports elsewhere are claiming that Rosenstein is refusing to resign, but expects White House to fire him. Might want to confirm / update.

5 Likes

With the current GOP, a party of opportunists, cowards and worse it will very easily, almost assuredly, go the other way.

12 Likes

Damn, I was really hoping for sanity to prevail. Why you might ask? No reason, just hoping the country would not have to face a constitutional crisis, but it seems that is not to be. My next hope is that subsequent generations will not judge us too harshly. My next hope is that there actually will be future generations who will be allowed to question what we did. Realistically, though, we are so screwed it is not funny.

4 Likes

You want to do this with maps? Weirdo.

2 Likes

If Rosenstein is the man of integrity that he’s held out to be, he needs to explain to the country why he seriously considered recording the President and making a case for invoking the 25th Amendment. This stage of his career is over, and nothing is gained by leaving Trump’s unfitness for office to the imagination.

9 Likes

Are you saying that being of Filipino ancestry isn’t being an Asian American?

11 Likes

Seriously. If he’s truly been ousted (looks like Trump tried to pull his typical wimp move and have him “resign”) then I expect the intelligence community to suddenly spring a few more leaks.

5 Likes
4 Likes

I think the New York Times has more explaining to do, because people in the room for that conversation strongly dispute the way that the NYT’s source – who was not in the room – characterized it.

11 Likes

I mean, if the guy self-identifies as Asian-American I’m certainly not gonna argue. It’s just kind of odd that Wikipedia would emphasize that label when he’s a native-born New Yorker whose father appears to be a Filipino of Spanish ancestry.

Of course the labels are pretty slippery and arbitrary anyway. Many of the Filipinos I’ve known preferred “Pacific Islanders” to “Asian.” But then “Pacific-Islander-American” doesn’t exactly roll of the tongue.

1 Like

I seriously hope Mr Meuller is making backups of all he has so far.

6 Likes

Oh well, that’s definite then. :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

2 Likes

Just to set the record straight. Rosenstein did not discuss removing Trump. Andrew McCabe suggested the DOJ should investigate Trump, to which Rosenstein sarcastically replied “What do you want to do, Andy, wire the president?”. So thanks to NYT being outplayed by some White House insider, Trump now gets a chance to appoint a yes-man to Rosenstein’s suddenly vacant position.

6 Likes