DeSantis spent $1.5m on private flights while his campaign struggles for money

Originally published at: DeSantis spent $1.5m on private flights while his campaign struggles for money | Boing Boing

4 Likes

And he’s trying to take credit for getting US citizens out of Israel.
gove_is_idiot

10 Likes

That’s about $100000 a week on air travel.
A quick look at the internets tell me that private jets cost ~$5000 an hour*. At $5000/hr it would take flying every hour of every day for those 3 months to get to $1.5 million.
So is he (or a close friend) getting a cut of the jet rentals and this is a grift to scam campaign donors?

*After typing this I went back and looked at the companies he’s using and he’s probably the mark here. They charge ridiculous rates for their special government agent security packages

9 Likes

One of those fiscal conservatives. May he sink into a think tank soon, and never be heard from again.

The sticker on the window that says “special government agent secure” makes it worth every penny.

4 Likes

Well, DeSantis is term-limited and so can’t seek a third term as governor of Florida in 2026.

But it’s probably too much to hope for that he’ll leave the public spotlight. Hopefully he goes somewhere that I don’t watch, like Fox “News”, and so I can ignore him until he says something astoundingly stupid and gets roasted by the late night comedy shows. [It’s not will he say something stupid, it’s when will he say something stupid.]

4 Likes

In fairness, his patent unlikeability kinda warrants travel on private planes.

2 Likes

I just heard heard another great theory about his motivations from Jon Lovett on Pod Save America which makes perfect sense:
This is a man who wears ridiculously tall cowboy boots that have an advanced system of lifts installed. Can you imagine his humiliation when he has to remove them for a public TSA security check if he boards a commercial flight and is suddenly revealed to be 6" shorter? No amount of campaign dollars is too much to avoid that.

5 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.