Design classics at the annual Braun collector's fair in Germany

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2024/05/07/design-classics-at-the-annual-braun-collectors-fair-in-germany.html

2 Likes

i recently became obsessed with a Braun bread slicer from the 1970s. it’s the coolest looking way i can imagine to slice bread, it’s just that they are a tad expensive, and i don’t have storage or counter space for one, even if it’s so sensibly designed to be so collapsible. AND YET… i really want one. [EDIT]: oh god, i forgot about their coffee maker! i want i want i want…

2 Likes

I’m not a drip coffee lover, but I absolutely want one of those brightly coloured machines shown in the linked article - they’re gorgeous.

I didn’t know Braun designed watches! There are some wonderful German watch companies, especially Junghans and Nomos who keep these clean designs going - shame I don’t have deep enough pockets to get one though :frowning:

1 Like

I saw those too and went ebayin’.

But then it struck me that I would never use it. The thing about it is that the part of the design we now love its aesthetic and functional elegance. But they are surely not great appliances by contemporary standards. The Braun blade grinder, for example. It must have radically improved the quality of home coffee in the 1960s but if you bothered with that sort of thing nowadays it just wouldn’t be good enough.

4 Likes

This new lunch box (Kickstarter) has strong Braun vibe:

As do their water containers:

Clearly the creators have been paying attention.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.