For me, the big draws on Mastodon are:
- Charlie Stross, wickedly smart Scottish author
- John Scalzi, another great author who posts his burrito crimes there
- Winchell Chung, a great source of Traveller news (the RPG) who I previously knew of as the guy who illustrated Ogre (the game about nuclear cybertanks).
- Lisa Melton, one of the original developers of Safari and a very prolific super booster (or reposter).
- Being on a regional server, so looking at the local feed gives me news from my physical neighbors here in Munich (I’m on muenchen.social).
- Governments are wising up to the way they can fully control their own instances, so the German government has one, Netherlands as well. That means they can control their own uptime.
- Ivory is a real pleasure to use, making it easy for me to move from Mac to iPhone to iPad, depending on if I’m on the train or on the sofa or sitting at the desk. Check it out if you’re an Apple aficionado like me.
So yeah, I like the extinct megafauna thingy. Oh, and I’m
@email@example.com on Mastodon.
Every day, the company gets less visible in app stores, reasonable users flee in disgust and fear, and big spending advertisers conclude it isn’t a safe place to put their brands.
Apart from being the inevitable scapegoat when it all goes belly up, what is Linda Yaccarino actually doing at Twitter/X?
I’d suggest “collecting a paycheck” but I’m not even sure about that. The question stands.
… basically her whole job is to get people like us to talk about her instead of about Musk
Then when he fires her and replaces her with some other well paid scapegoat we’ll talk about that
Yeah…just moved from
mastodon.social, to a small, locally focused server and the feeling is much nicer. Thanks for the follow suggestions. Lisa Melton is such a joy to follow.
Ain’t no massive water-cooled steel plate massive enough to fix this problem.
Linda Yaccarino, CEO of X, says she has autonomy from Elon Musk to run the business
“Elon works on the technology and dreams up what’s next,” she said. “I bring it to market.”
This is Valley-speak for “Elon fucks up the technology and I pick up the pieces - and a huge paycheck”
On Halloween could work out better.
Musk will Musk as he does, but my question is whether we should feel sorry for Linda Yaccarino. She must’ve known what she was getting into by taking a job “under” Musk…
Pillowfort looks nice but it seems to have a questionable funding and scaling model. I don’t see it filling the same niche that mastodon does for diverse communities, and it’s still centrally controlled and siloed. If if does succeed to become worth billions, it would just be another twitter eventually.
Obvious solution would be to render the headline as a gif. Perhaps as a special gif served up to twitter agents.
Maybe even a fancy animated vertical gif with blurry borders on the side like tiktok.
I mean, Hanlon’s Razor can only get you so far. I’m more and more coming around to the idea that he is deliberately tanking Twitter for whatever reason. Maybe because he was forced to buy it and this is his revenge. Maybe because the Russian oligarchs (i.e., Putin) who loaned him the money to make the buyout want it thus, maybe some other reason, but you can’t accidently do fifteen things that all destroy the value and credibility of something, right? Even the yes men with which he surrounds himself are starting to tell him this is bad, and he just keeps tripling and quadrupling down!
I still have trouble with the intent. He owns the off switch. He can just say it’s not making enough and turn it off.
See, the reason you don’t think Hanlon’s razor can get you this far is you can’t bring yourself to believe anyone could be that stupid. You’d rather invent some kind of explanation for what Musk is trying to do, no matter how far fetched. But I’m afraid there’s no reason to think so except incredulity. Right now all evidence points to him really being that self-centered and incompetent.
There’s no response code for this so I’ll drop it here