Detroit's 3500 lb. RoboCop statue seeks a new home

6 Likes

Yah, two big examples of this highly distracting “spatial warping” phenomenon for me were Terminator 2 and Crash. I was living in LA at the time, and in the former John jumps his dirt bike out the side of the parking garage in Santa Monica Place mall, and lands in Sherman Oaks. One cut, one 20 mile jump. In Crash, Sandra Bullock is walking down Broxton in Westwood and turns a corner onto 3rd St in Santa Monica, 10 miles away. Variations on the latter are pretty common, since there aren’t that many photogenic pedestrian streets in LA. Many many scenes are one or the other (or both :joy:).

The other big one that gets me, having grown up in western Canada; every alien planet in every TV show and movie looks just like western Canada, because, well, they film it all in the woods near North Vancouver. Throw in some red lighting and airbrush a second moon in the sky, and presto, alien planet. Except that…it still looks exactly like the woods of North Vancouver. :grimacing: Also every big Western since at least Unforgiven (and recently all of Hell on Wheels) is shot very noticeably in Alberta. A director was quoted as saying they like Alberta because it’s the only place they can still get those big western vistas without having to rotoscope out billboards and power lines. All the big tax incentives help too, I’m sure. :smirk:

3 Likes

"all day long, shoppers and tourists alike stop at the bubble-figured 12-foot-tall Adam by the Colombian artist Fernando Botero that greets visitors and provides perhaps the most memorable Manhattan meeting spot since the clock in the Biltmore Hotel. And when they stop, they often touch, grasp, pat or rub the statue’s small but prominent penis "
https://cityroom.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/10/21/an-attention-getter-irresistibly-interactive/

1 Like

Yeah, because erecting sculptures glorifying hyper-militarized, shoot-first-ask-questions-later police tactics fits perfectly with the 2001 zeitgeist.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.