Detroit's 3500 lb. RoboCop statue seeks a new home

Originally published at: Detroit's 3500 lb. RoboCop statue seeks a new home | Boing Boing

2 Likes

some rich fucker in dallas needs to put this beast in deep ellum.

6 Likes

id buy that for a dollar GIF

26 Likes

The Institute of Art is right next to the science museum. Seems like it could be a decent temporary home.

7 Likes

Came here for this, was not disappointed.

2 Likes

“3500 lb.” … “half-ton tribute”

Must be post-apocalyptic tons; everything feels heavier then.

9 Likes

Considering the movie was filmed in Dallas representing a future dystopian Detroit, that actually makes the most sense.

https://www.dallasfilmcommission.com/robocop-dallas-locations-then-now/

8 Likes

the club The Bomb Factory is where they shot the drug factory in the movie. a perfect location for the statue.

4 Likes

That was a weird choice. Even in the 1980s there was lots of Detroit that was abandoned and dystopic. Why not film it there?

2 Likes

Too dangerous. Mostly perceived danger.

I watched Robocop for the first time in 1990. There’s a scene early in the movie featuring the Hyatt Regency tower. I hadn’t ever been to Detroit at that point in my life, but my family lived in Arlington, TX for two years, so I was quite familiar with Dallas’ unusual buildings. Destroyed my ability to suspend disbelief for the whole movie.

6 Likes

I’m imagining a bunch of people who earned doctorates in early indigenous pottery or Renaissance painting or contemporary avant-garde experimental installations trying to find a polite way to turn down an offer of an 11-foot-tall action figure.

5 Likes

Reminds me of shows/movies supposedly set in Wisconsin or Illinois that feature mountains in the background (because they were filmed probably somewhere in Southern California).

4 Likes

Perhaps they could make the figure, uh, anatomically correct and name it “The Postmodern David”.

4 Likes

Michigan = Unions

Robo2 was filmed in Houston

3 Likes

That feeling is a constant if you live in LA or Vancouver, where almost everything is filmed. You recognize locations every 10 minutes that are supposed to be not LA or Vancouver :joy:

8 Likes

Although Robocop was easy for me, 1988’s remake of “D.O.A.” proved to be quite difficult to engage. It was filmed in Austin and San Marcos, towns I knew intimately. Characters going into a building in Austin and exiting in San Marcos was tough… but the Austin “COPS” taxicab (cabs on patrol) driving up to the Theatre Center at Soutwest State was too much for my acid-laced brain.

5 Likes

I hear 'ya! Unless The Great Outdoors was shot at Devil’s Lake, there’s no way it was filmed in Chicagoland’s vacationland.

[edit] @Noddy93: The one that drives me bonkers is Jumper. No, the wooden bridge in Gallup Park is 1) not immediately in front of Huron High School 2) is perpendicular to the side of the school they were shooting and 3) not even visible from Fuller Road. Also, Ann Arbor does not have an octopus-style elevated water tank - that thing lives next to Ypsilanti High School, several miles outside of Ann Arbor.

I feel better now. Thanks eveyone!

4 Likes

Art doesn’t get much more Art than a piece by Verhoeven.

Same with Toronto. I used to be able to identify specific loading docks and the hotel lobbies from shows/movies that were set in whatever random US city. Now that I’ve been out west for as long as I have I keep thinking it’s Toronto when it’s Vancouver (but at least I get the country right).

3 Likes

The worst for me was 'Broken Arrow". I ran tours in Southern Utah during college, so I know every square mile. When Christian Slater walks from Canyonlands to Glen Canyon to then Lees Ferry within a couple of hours (nevermind crossing the Colorado River and 200-ft cliffs twice), it became a hard one to watch seriously.

3 Likes