Dick Braine to lead Britain's far-right UKIP party

Mr Awesome

That kind of nickname is usually given in a sarcastic sense.

10 Likes

That’s ok; the blurred comment was sarcastic, so I think we’re good here :rofl:

7 Likes

db898899cc16f67cdc8da58f514df918

15 Likes

I remember the obituary of Screaming Lord Such in the paper like 15 years ago, and that was how I learned of the British Monster Raving Loony Party

Didnt realize they were still around. Cool. Lord Such seemed a hell of a lot more sane than the loonies running the UK right now

16 Likes

Indeed. Dave Sutch may have been driven - and killed - by his manic-depression, but he genuinely served UK democracy well, not least as a safety-valve for protest votes.

13 Likes

Different politician. You’re thinking of 'Ed Balls.

5 Likes

Until, belatedly, they join the rest of their erstwhile peers in the Brexit Party Company

5 Likes

Here in Texas we had a Governor (our 20th) named James Stephen “Big Jim” Hogg who, for reasons unknown, named his only daughter Ima. She might even have a statue somewhere on the UT campus.

11 Likes

This, I predict, will rapidly derail into a funny names thread. I grew up with a dentist named Dick Head (an Aussie immigrant, maybe it means something else down under?) Worked with an ob-gyn named Dr. Payne and a FP named Dr. Life. I could go on, but shall now out now. :rofl:

11 Likes

His name only qualifies him for the slightly silly party, I think:
British Monster Raving Loony Party

2 Likes

“Dickhead” is the quintessential Australian insult.

9 Likes

Oh, that down under. :wink:

11 Likes

I thought that was a shorter word? :grin:

3 Likes

I once met a Claire hazard who worked in insurance, she thought it was hilarious.

5 Likes

Ima doesn’t have a statue but James Hogg does — but it was removed and will be relocated. It was removed during the Confederate statue removals, not because he was a Confederate, but his statue would have been one remaining in the group after Lee, Johnston, and Reagan were removed, making that area look weird.

2 Likes

“the far-right lunatics still in UKIP are fading into complete and utter irrelevance.”
Disagree - the ideologues are very much holding the reins. Upsetting.

4 Likes

That one’s just as likely to be used as a term of endearment tho.

6 Likes

Dick Army sez hi!

3 Likes

Funny, I’m pretty sure the last person to lead UKIP was a dick brain as well…

3 Likes

To be closely followed by Bell End

1 Like