Dilbert dropped by "many news outlets" after creator's racist mutterings

I wondered why it took Elon Musk so long to jump into the discussion… (too bad I can’t include links yet)

“The media is racist.”

7 Likes

There was some critique of Dilbert from the left back in the day but nobody seemed to care much

The Trouble With Dilbert: How Corporate Culture Gets the Last Laugh by Norman Solomon | Goodreads

17 Likes

It’s like we are on a Cards against humanity LARP

8 Likes
18 Likes

So does that mean it’s gone out of every paper now (well, except maybe Daily Stormer)?

9 Likes

Nope, just saw this today:

31 Likes

Ruben Bolling (who obviously knows a lot more about comics distribution than most of us) puts this into context:

30 Likes

Ruben forgot the part where Adams goes on to become a Republican senator.

19 Likes

Apparently not Adams’ work.

11 Likes

Hear hear! Cathy is dismissed by most as “just a girl’s comic”. However the writing is consistently far and away better than Dilbert or most of the other “normal” (ie. for men) comics.

18 Likes

Sure. I thought that was obvious, oops.

10 Likes

Actually, with this tweet from last year, this seems perfectly possible:

(Found randomly from an old article,
What the Hell is Up with Dilbert - by Meghan Boilard)

27 Likes

Also important because Adams’ avatar in his strips is Dogbert, not Dilbert as most assume. Adams never spent much of his career working in offices so he doesn’t really identify with Dilbert. However Dogbert always getting the last word and being kind of an evil authoritarian dick is no accident.

24 Likes

Well…the first panel is too self critical, but I could see Adams drawing the other two.

9 Likes

Well that’s an odd thing to hear from a white South African.
< /sarcasm >

13 Likes

I braced myself and watched the video because I do feel it’s important to hear a quote in full context, if only to determine if it’s really as bad as you think it is. (I mean, I can’t think of any way it could be see as “better,” but hearing what surrounds a one line quote is still important.) I’m just still kind of stunned to find it was even worse in context than out. That hateful racist quote being shown in stories is probably the “least bad” line from the whole video, which is saying a hell of a lot.

Fucked around, finding out.

24 Likes

You’d think he could just pull a Jim Davis and hire a couple of writers and artists to ape his style and pump out strips with his signature on them, but I guess this made more sense… somehow.

6 Likes

Pence does not like women. If you like people as a group, you treat the members of that group as individuals. Is it fair to avoid specific being alone with specific people? (Never mind their gender.) Sure. Lumping them all into one glob? Hmm. Yeah, actually, that is an anti-woman thing.

24 Likes

Tv Land Teacher GIF by Teachers on TV Land

20 Likes

Canadian papers now following suit as well.

The Toronto Star, Globe And Mail, and Postmedia (which owns all the Sun papers across the country) have now dropped his ass.

That’s basically all the newspapers in Canada, except for the Calgary Herald. It would be a pleasant surprise if the Herald dropped him, but Alberta being Alberta, they probably won’t. Amusingly, they did run the story about how all the other papers have dropped him:

(That’s a Herald article, not NP. BBS is oneboxing it incorrectly)

23 Likes