Ding, Dong, Trumpcare's Dead: GOP Health Care Bill Collapses With 2 Senators' Dissent

Please, please tell me that second one is photoshopped.

1 Like

Good riddance to bad rubbish. It was too cruel for too few Republicans, and not cruel enough for MANY more Republicans. So now McConnell is going to try to go for a straight repeal with no replacement. Christ, what an asshole.

8 Likes

"At a dinner with GOP senators on Monday evening, Trump said the party would look like “dopes” if they couldn’t pass the bill after passing a repeal bill in 2015.

“If the Republicans have the House, Senate and the presidency and they can’t pass this health care bill they are going to look weak,” Trump said, according to a source familiar with the meeting. “How can we not do this after promising it for years?” -Politico

#Because they NEVER had a fucking plan!

18 Likes

I wish I could believe that the 2018 elections would flip the house and senate, but the gerrymandering is in place, and I’m afraid it won’t happen.

6 Likes

Oh yeah. They are already talking about how their base wants a repeal bill to phase out the ACA over the next two years during which time they will get a healthcare bill together.

4 Likes

Gerrymandering and a lot more.

If this gets sorted, it’s going to be in the streets rather than at the ballot box.

13 Likes

And McConnell’s threats to work with the Democrats if this bill didn’t pass are, IMHO threats aimed at the far-right wing opposition rather than something he actually intends to do. But they aren’t credible threats. I actually suspect that there is a fairly large number centerist Republicans who are quietly opposed to this bill. For those who have to worry about BOTH primaries AND general elections, visible opposition might lose them their primary, but voting for this might lose them the general election. THEY are quite happy to see this die without a vote so they don’t have to “own” the results. And they can continue to tell their voters that healthcare in this country is somebody else’s fault.

They’ve spent 6 years without coming up with a workable plan, but two more will do the trick?

This would require getting rid of Ryan, IMHO. Ryan is fixated on going after Medicaid. Not just the Medicaid expansion under the ACA but the Medicaid that existed before. I just can’t conceive of him allowing any healthcare reform to go to a vote in the House if it doesn’t attack Medicaid.

8 Likes

So if they simply repeal the ACA, does that mean everything goes back to how it was before Obamacare? Not sure that’s much of a victory for anybody. :frowning:

2 Likes

Try this on for size:

"Because Republicans have been trying to destroy the Affordable Care Act for years, the Congressional Budget Office has already examined this approach. Back in June of 2015, the CBO analyzed (pdf) what repealing the Affordable Care Act without replacing it with something else would actually look like for American citizens over the next 10 years. Here are the main takeaways:

A boost in labor supply would increase GDP by 0.7%, reducing the federal deficit by $216 billion over the 2016-2025 time period. But repealing the taxes that fund the bill would also reduce net revenues by $631 billion in the same time period. The net effect would be a $137 billion increase in the federal deficit from 2016 to 2025.

About 14 million fewer people would be insured by Medicaid, and 18 million fewer would have non-group coverage, for an increase of 32 million uninsured. But the CBO estimated eight million more would have employment-based coverage if the act were repealed. The net effect would be 24 million fewer people insured from 2016 to 2025."

13 Likes

So is that basically the track that we were on before Obamacare?

The people I know that oppose the ACA wouldn’t be swayed by anything you quoted there. The bottom line is that they don’t want to be required by law to purchase health insurance and that little loss of their personal liberty out weighs just about everything else. They object on principle.

1 Like

If “let’s repeal the ACA and replace it with our new plan” was unpopular, I’m not sure how they’re going to find any support for “let’s repeal the ACA and just sort of wing it”.

7 Likes

How is reverting to the system from 2010 winging it? If you are 18, I get it - the ACA is what you grew up with and don’t know what it was like before. But the rest of us remember pretty clearly how things were 7 years ago. It was worse, but it didn’t involve winging.

Oh, but see, he’s going to make the repeal go into effect in 2 years, giving them a hard deadline to act on. Cause that worked with funding the government, right?

10 Likes

Insurance premiums rising, Level of sickness equaled cost of plan. You got cancer? Well, you get charged more. And if you have a pre-existing condition, sorry no insurance for you.

Yeah, good times.

10 Likes

We can’t simply go back in time to the old system; the ACA replaced it. Repealing the ACA wouldn’t just be ‘turning off the law’, it would eject many many millions from being insured at all. Unregulated, premiums would likely shoot up more than 100% according to the CBO.

People love to hate the ACA because of the black guy who passed it, but they’ve already forgotten what it’s like to not be able to get insurance because of preexisting conditions or to have premiums kept in check.

And I say “winging it” because they’re not going back to that. They’ve said they’re going to start from scratch and invent a brand new plan on the fly over the next year or so, with no details. That sounds like winging it out of desperation to me.

17 Likes

Gurl, the stupid is real.

The flag in the window is, absolutely.

4 Likes

Nope. He did it again. For real.

13 Likes

So the question goes: is The Way It Used To Be “good enough”?

If you:

• have a pre-existing medical condition
  • prefer to not have a lifetime cap on your medical expenses
  • are not wealthy and employed
  • are a child up to age 26
  • are a woman
    the answer may be “No”.
11 Likes

That HuffPost link is so much like this:

3 Likes

So the question goes: is The Way It Used To Be “good enough”?

That’s not what I was asking though. FTR, I don’t think it is good enough and I do like Obamacare simply because I’m not sure we can do any better until the current political climate changes. I personally think it’s crazy that access to health care is tied to your employment.

I’m just saying going back to 2010 rules isn’t exactly winging it. If Republicans (and Libertarians) think the ACA has made things worse, then simply repealing should make things better. A pretty good chunk of their base thinks Obamacare should be repealed.