Disney quietly removes jizz from Star Wars continuity

Well, for a quiet drink I’d rather hear Max Rebo’s jizz band than “The Dead Organas”, a well-known spunk band.

7 Likes

If the language is all translated into English, then the specific words we hear in the movie are already extradiegetic. So it’s fine if Disney chooses a new substitute for whatever alien sound / odor / radio wave they were previously rendering as “jizz”.

The real Han, Leia, Luke et al. probably couldn’t even say “jizz” with the beak-anuses they use for communication.

4 Likes

Nah, it just so happens that Galactic Basic is indistinguishable from English.

14 Likes

In The Last Jedi I thought it was interesting that Poe Dameron explicitly said that General Hux’s name is spelled with an “H”. But it was a funny exchange so I won’t stress over whether it breaks any canonical rules about what languages they’re using.

10 Likes

Just remember:

Han shot first.

Fun fact: What we call Jazz used to be called Jizz

6 Likes

Plus almost every droid in the galaxy has a name comprised of characters from the English Alphabet combined with Arabic numerals. The original version of the first movie even had English text (I mean, there’s a lot of English text in Star Wars but most of it is now rendered in the Aurebesh typeface).

tractor-beam

8 Likes

Why did they just not say Jazz call it jazz… from the get go. I mean just whut?

2 Likes

Everyone knows that Jizz produced his best music after the Wailers broke up, mon.

But if you watch under a black light it’s still there.

10 Likes

Can you really say that Louis Armstrong, Miles Davis, and Kenny G play the same kind of music? And yet we call all their music “jazz”.

2 Likes

2 Likes

They just need an appendix like how the good Professor made for LOTR explaining that Frodo, Sam etc. weren’t really named that but that their names were translations from the original. Really! Samwise Gamegee is supposedly a translation of Banazîr Galpsi, for example, and Frodo Baggins is Maura Labingi.

2 Likes

Bearing in mind that “Chisholm” is pronounced “jizm”

1 Like

Sure. Of course that’s a huge variety under the banner “jazz”, but I don’t call funk or disco “jazz”. Whatever. Like I said this is all fictional stuff. For all I know they could call anything where multiple people play any sort of music in front of people “jizz”. Ha. I’m just saying max rebo and the modal notes sound very very different to me.

I wonder if that Tom waits style music from the force awakens’s cantina scene is called “jizz” too? But that’s a different planet… so who knows.

2 Likes

i had to look that up

Lucas also insisted that written text throughout the films look as dissimilar from the English alphabet as possible, and constructed alphabets were developed.

so they just letter substituted?! if you really want dissimilar they should have used a language without an alphabet…

1 Like

I bet you’ll still be able to identify ships and flying droids from their jizz, though.

6 Likes

Ditto Wakandan and Xandarian.

4 Likes

Meh. I’d rather listen to the turbo elevator music in the Death Star while traveling from apex to asshole.

2 Likes

Star Wars being what it is, I assume there must be a “jizz wailer” named “Mob Barley” (or, in recent Star Wars, based on their pop-culture-reference naming conventions, “Ob Arley”). That’s just how SW rolls…

But… but… it’s space! It’s not the Earth, with the same culture - it’s a completely different set of planets, where the culture is simply a direct analog. Thus, everything has to have a “space name” (where you switch some letters around) so you can pretend it’s actually alien in some way. Those are just the rules (of lazy worldbuilding)!

@FGD135
Graphic design is my passion!

6 Likes

Ditto JRR Tolkien with the Runes in The Hobbit (with the use of the thorn þ for “TH”):

4 Likes