Disney's Bob Iger slams DeSantis as "anti-Florida"

Originally published at: Disney's Bob Iger slams DeSantis as "anti-Florida" | Boing Boing

11 Likes

“Anti-business” will hurt DeSantis more than “anti-Florida”, but Iger was smart to use both.

30 Likes

One more time: Do not fuck with Disney. They have really good lawyers and a bunch that specialize in contracts. They ain’t afraid of using them.

17 Likes

…but then he had to add a corporation has the same rights as a person bullshit.

16 Likes

So my question to Iger would be, “Does the Disney corporation intend to continue to make campaign contributions to the Florida GOP?”

24 Likes

Thanks to the Citizen United decision, they unfortunately do; but we shouldn’t be celebrating that, even if we happen to occasionally agree with the “speech” that a company makes.

15 Likes

Enjoying the rare case where Disney’s sociopathic rapacity is being used as a force for good.

17 Likes

Great point, since the company pledges turn out to be worthless…

Unfortunately, the recent shareholder attempt to highlight that failed:

12 Likes

Iger is speaking to SCJ Roberts in that statement. I’m sure Disney and its legal army is already preparing for a Supreme Court showdown with DeSantis. It’s what I would do if I had infinite lawyers and infinite resources to deploy them.

6 Likes

To be honest, much of Florida’s stewardship has been anti-Florida for a long time now. :man_shrugging:

11 Likes

Good, got my daily “slam” out of the way. I think that’s the default verb for whoever gets the first story of the day.

Seen on Fark:

8 Likes

… wait, that’s a real thing?

:confused:

4 Likes

According to the documentary series Big John, Little John, yes.

3 Likes

It sounds pretty Floridian to me, but I just don’t understand why people aren’t leaving the place in droves. Do they think it’s still be habitable in twenty years? Because large parts of Florida will not be.

1 Like

While I agree with the general sentiment, there are a whole lot of reasons why people can’t leave --even if they want to. They deserve our support.

Two observations: the quality of the one-season Sherwood Schwartz sitcom must have delivered on the promise of that abysmal intro; and, man, 40 years old in 1976 looks like 60 years old in 2023.

8 Likes

As someone who lived in the armpit of Florida a decade, a lot of it has to do with marginalization and how it affects income there, as it does with many “red” states. Florida has finally jumped on the “fair pay” bandwagon and is currently at $11/hr minimum wage, set to increase to $12/hr in October, eventually rising to $15/hr in three more years. Not perfect, but a hell of a lot closer to fair than it’s ever been before (it was a little over $8/hr).

When I was living there, it took so much effort to earn enough to escape Florida’s orbit. :man_shrugging:

I’m never going back unless it’s to a theme park or to visit my mother’s grave.

8 Likes

It’s no small task to pick up and relocate, especially if you’ve got a family and home and career to consider and the economy is iffy at best.

And where are they all supposed to move to? The median price for a home in Florida is about half the median price for a home in California, so selling off and buying a new place elsewhere isn’t a financially viable option for a lot of people.

9 Likes

Not for nothing, but its a nice change of pace for an evil corporation to be volunteering to pay more taxes to get what it wants rather than stick the public with a bill it can’t pay. (like Amazon tried in NYC and every major sports franchise does when it wants a new stadium)

7 Likes

have you seen the folks in The Villages?!
nope. no fountain of youth in this state. if there ever was, it was sold off to Nestle and pumped dry. the rest of us get questionable water delivered throigh lead pipes (apparently).

7 Likes