DIY Underlit LED Skirt

More women in STEM like sexycyborg, pretty please?

2 Likes

TobinL: I am just old and cranky and cant see where that is functional as clothing

Ok. We got ā€œmaybe Iā€™m just old fashionedā€¦ā€ slut shaming.

milliefink: Which doesnā€™t mean you shouldnā€™t be careful out there. Maybe itā€™s just the big sister in me that cares about the little sister I see in you.

And the old ā€˜motherly concern/adviceā€™ slut shaming (with not subtle ā€˜cover yourself up you flirting whoreā€™ gif]). Let me go tell a Western girl I am not calling her fat when I say 'I just really care about your heart health and diabetes". So no. Not actual caring or concern. Not clever. Pretty obvious to every one actually.

So lets do this.

Iā€™ve got several thousand comments at this point. About 50% are absolute enrage. Can post if you like. Iā€™m doing it as feminist so I have excuse to attack guys for looking at me. Iā€™m doing it as whore to attract business. Iā€™m all kind of boney and hideous. Itā€™s so simple and easy itā€™s stupid. No itā€™s too hard I must have had a man do it and fake everything. But most important is angry. Very upset. Men and women.

No one is really talking about sexy LED clothing and itā€™s stupid to pretend thatā€™s the issue.

This board is poorly coded and will not let me add enough links. But there is ton of LED clothing in the West. Plenty of photo of women out door in just pasties and panties. Girls wear to parties EDC rave whatever. Much more sexy and skirts shorter than mine. Any sexy girl can just buy them on amazon no problem. And if they know their place and they do this they wonā€™t offend anyone.

When the original Hikaru skirt came out it showed same leg. But make child sexy. Or at least made a teenager look like child but with platform high heel. thigh high stockings and a skirt length you would never put on a child. Pictures taken up her skirt and showing panties. Pose with back arched and legs wide. But the models were cute and harmless and stupid looking. Most important? they were model and so not threatening. Pedophile bait? No problem. Because ā€˜Japanā€™. More traffic than me. But not one negative slut shame comment.

1 Like

Photos of shorter sexier LED clothing and skirt all over with no criticism. I wonder just what it could be that causes all the slut shaming and outrage?

So let get real. The real problem some people have is not this picture.

Itā€™s this one.

The real issue is trespassing.

I will return favor and share ā€˜caringā€™ advice with Millie. Your desperate need to with the first sentence establish yourself as higher up in some imagined hierarchy (big sister) with condescend slut shaming ā€˜adviceā€™ will cost you opportunities to work and make friends with women who are high competent but smart enough to call you out on bullshit.

1 Like

I dunno, I say she pretty well nailed every instance on this comment thread.

2 Likes

If youā€™re still reading here, thank you for the response, and for the advice.

Iā€™m not at all ā€œdesperateā€ to ā€œshameā€ you, and I apologize for coming across as condescending.

It does bother me that all it usually takes now to shut down objections to sexual objectification of women is the hurled accusation of ā€œslut shaming,ā€ but now Iā€™m thinking that one thing I should remember is that my perspective is informed by a particular place and culture.

You seemed to say or imply on reddit that your ā€œbig boobsā€ are at least in part a response to government objections to that modification? If so, again, I understand now that Iā€™m not seeing yet how your work functions in a different context, and I again apologize for judging it from mine.

http://www.reddit.com/r/BoltedOnAsians/comments/38l575/usexycyborg_has_cute_fake_boobies/.compact

Do you have other explanations of your work in English online? The OP here doesnā€™t seem to link to any, just to lots of sexy pictures of you. For instance, Iā€™m still struggling to understand why, if the DIYer portrait of you is so much more important, itā€™s basically buried under an avalanche of the sexy ones.

First let me say it is excellent to see the creator @sexycyborg in the topic!

However, I am not 100% sure itā€™s realistic to expect the discussion to stay completely on topic for a LED skirt when the presentation is so errrā€¦ sexualized. Itā€™s the same reason people complain about these dice.com billboard ads, isnā€™t it?

These are just funny billboards about tech recruiting, yeah, so whatā€™s the problem? Why canā€™t we just talk about tech recruiting?

Watch this GDC panel, Brenda Romeroā€™s section about the booth babe problem and the sexualization of E3. Very eye opening.

Why canā€™t it just be about X?

2 Likes

I love this project. It is great to see someone follow through on an idea and document the process. Seeing the things that didnā€™t work and why is as important as seeing the things that did (No metal near LEDS!). I may have missed it but do you have a website other than imgur where people can follow the progress of your projects?

I havenā€™t had the opportunity to show this to my daughter. I think that she would love to have app controllable lighting in her clothes. Especially if she built or helped build it herself.

2 Likes

No more like grumpy cause I canā€™t get away with that kind of thing anymore and not look stupid wearing it. My apologies if it sounds otherwise. Well I probably could never have got away with that as I have dangly bits that would show, :slight_smile:

1 Like

I am not convinced that wearing any particular kind of clothes - or even no clothes at all - has anything to do with sexual activity. Itā€™s like saying that if I wear a skirt without electronics that I am ā€œelectronifyingā€ myself because you decide to have the expectation of electronics where there are none happening. Claims that something is ā€œsupposed to beā€ erotic (or anything else) are always pretentious, because the interpretation is subjective. Supposed by whom?

This is such a bizarre story about the ghost lights, but a true one.

I donā€™t even remember the exact trip, but I was driving through the middle of nowhere and stopped at the only gas station around for miles - one of those with two barely working pumps and a shack of a building.

Itā€™s night. Iā€™m sitting in the car while my then-husband is pumping gas.

A spotless late model white corvette with purple ghost lights appears like a vision, floating on the highway, and comes to a stop at the other pump.

Out strides a blonde woman, blonde from a bottle for sure, tanned - very, and swarthy. She was not very tall. She must have been a body builder. She was ripped, with big arms and wide shoulders. She was not a beauty, but a middle-aged woman with a distinctive look - half redneck and half something of her own creation. Every hair was in place in a shoulder length Farrah wing kind of cut with highlights.

She wore a new pair of jeans that were stiff and pressed, fresh white tennis shoes.

And an immaculate white t-shirt with her car airbrushed on it, ghost lights and all. The sleeves were rolled up neatly.

She was so awesome. I wish I had a picture but maybe my mind pic is better anyway.

Then she floated away in her chariot.

Maybe I dreamed her.

9 Likes

Just because it might presumably be sexy to her, need not imply that it is sexy for you - or indeed, anybody else.

Not unlike how I can enjoy listening to some self-proclaimed ā€œintelligent dance musicā€ which I might classify as not being particularly intelligent, danceable, or even music. Like anything else, it is subject to opinion, and depends who you ask. The labels and pretense are not interesting, because the creation and appreciation of the work are essentially individualistic.

1 Like

Mod note: Final time, stay on topic.

1 Like

Itā€™s gone, as it should be.

2 Likes

I did.

4 Likes

Canā€™t believe I failed to notice this bit

• I can sample my outfits color- even multiple colors and coordinate my skirt to those colors.
  • I can set specific colors that match certain holidays- red and yellow for Chinese New Year and flash in the pattern of lucky Chinese numbers. Red White and Blue for a 4th of July BBQ with my foreign friends. The team colors at a sporting event.
  • If I set my phone up as a open wireless AP, and have the skirt colors change or brighter depending on the number of connected wifi clients (and so crowd size).
  • Chinese girls love to wear matching outfits on a girls night out. Not only can our skirts match colors, they can chance in sync or strobe in complex patters across a group.
  • We can use the skirts to coordinate complex group dance patterns or games of tag.
  • It can be used for speed dating meetups- if you approach a girl with a lot of shared interests her skirt glows green, otherwise it glows red so you are saved the embarrassment of trying to make conversation with someone you have little in common with.

which is awesome. Maybe video footage?

4 Likes

some other good ideas for LED fashions here at the Maker Faire 2015 wearable fashion show:

1 Like

This is fucking fantastic. Thanks for sharing @sexycyborg

1 Like

No one has mentioned the safety aspect of such clothing.

Oh, this should be good. And what, exactly, is the safety aspect to which you are referring?

3 Likes