Do kookaburras like pasta?

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/04/18/do-kookaburras-like-pasta.html

7 Likes

The first video was not surprising at all. I mean, look at that beak. It obviously want to eat him and his family.

8 Likes

I wouldn’t know about kookaburras but the blackbirds that visit my garden don’t say no to spaghetti.

10 Likes

This is when the groundhog body slams the bird, and then very slowly gobbles the pasta, hopefully with two dogs in the audience.

2 Likes

I know that my local murder of crows really appreciates leftover egg noodles (fun to watch too). Then again there is very little that they won’t eat.

10 Likes

Maybe cookaburrito for it?

18 Likes

You have brought shame upon us all. Now go eat crow.

10 Likes

An oldie but goody:

19 Likes

I love those birds.
Their german name is “Lachender Hans” - “Laughing Hans” for some reason.

13 Likes

That’s great! I did a semester in Brisbane and loved waking up to the sounds of them. I’d often wake up laughing along because they’d get into my dreams. Delightful creatures.

9 Likes

FORGET THE BIRD - i EAT PASTA MAN - MARRY ME OR ADOPT ME OR SOMETHING SO I CAN LIVE THERE AND i’LL EAT EVERYTHING IN YOUR FRIDGE…look at this kids backyard…“I’m jealous” would be the understatement of the year for me…

4 Likes

Kookaburra King: Murder and Mayhem Down Under

5 Likes

11 Likes

I think the kookaburras prefer snakes actually. They aren’t really vegetarians.

5 Likes

A kookaburra made a very creditable attempt at snatching a salmon and cream cheese bagel from my daughter’s hand while she was eating it, so there’s some more food groups. It was pretty bold - zoomed in from behind, coming in over her shoulder and knocking the bagel out of her hand.

7 Likes

And that’s why kids are afraid of animals, they take the kids food.

One time we were put and a maybe five year old came over to pat pockey. And she was holding an ice cream cone. I can’t remember if he made a motion or I realized the situation, but I kept him on a short leash. I can’t imagine him hurting a person, but I do simetimes wory that he’ll be too exuberant with children, or try for their food. Both could be mildly traumatic to young children.

But then he can be good but then decide something is ok. Once I had a bowl of popcorn on my lap, and he just sat there. But eventually he decided I had it there to share with him, so he ran his tongue over the top of the popcorn, I don’t think he actually ate it.

He also sniffs at the microwave if he’s passing by,just in case I’m cooking something.

4 Likes

I was working in the bush when a Kookaburra stole an entire BBQ chicken from my colleague’s lunch.

The Kookaburra then spent the next twenty minutes slapping the chicken against a tree branch in order to “kill” it (they do the same thing with snakes).

19 Likes

beek-cause I love you

3 Likes

Kookaburra calls were long used in “African jungle” film scenes. /facepalm

6 Likes

Kookaburras are not flock birds, are monogamous for life and only hang around with their family unit. Bloody conservative, you can tell by the haircut!.

That is the sound of a kookaburra marking it’s territory so when it’s surrounded by 50 others doing the same this guy is essentially telling everyone to fuck off!

Unfortunately people feed them so they are very comfortable with humans. It’s rare that they will bite the hand that feeds them. I made the mistake of feeding a couple and ended up not being able to eat outside as they would fly straight toward me to grab whatever I had mid flight.

When same couple got old they literally dropped their two young ones of on my veranda for me to feed them, then left for the day and I had these two young buggers squawking at me for food all afternoon - not the magical sound of ‘get fucked’ laughter!!

8 Likes