Dog learns new howl

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2021/01/20/dog-learns-new-howl.html

5 Likes

Ah, barking. I was expecting something along the lines of:

I saw the best canines of my generation destroyed by distemper, starving hysterical furless,
dragging themselves by their front feets at dawn looking for a biscuit
Milkboned yipsters barking for the ancient baked confection to the wagging dynano in the
machinery of night

Or something like that.

14 Likes

A friend of mine had a border collie, named Chuck, who was triggered by the opening organ track of The Phantom Of The Opera and would compulsively sing along - with a constant look in his eye that spoke: “What the fuck is happening to me?”

Chuck also had a rubber squeaky toy of Foghorn Leghorn which he would delicately squeeze in his jaws to make a soft high pitched wheeze. He found that to be much more calming than the Phantom.

9 Likes

My chi-terrier does this whenever an ambulance goes by. First, he does these little closed mouth woofs, then he does that first low howl this dog did (figuring out the key?), and then he matches the siren with his tiny head in an oddly wolf-like pose (head up, closed eyes, and ears back). When it’s gone, he seems annoyed and grumbles a lot. I always wonder if he thinks he’s chasing it away or feels he has to join in the pack howl against his will.

6 Likes

Good dog!

aaaaaaarooooo!

6 Likes

I dunno if he learned it- I think he always knew how to howl.

My old dog would howl with me - it was fun.

2 Likes

I loved the way the pup cocked its head when it heard the siren, as though to wonder just exactly what it was hearing. Perhaps it finally decided that the siren was some kind of strange dog in distress, and so decided to howl in sympathy.

4 Likes

A great, and underrated, folk-blues ensemble.

2 Likes
6 Likes

OK so now I want to hear a puppy listening to some Tuvan throat singing, see what happens.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.