Dog Years is to Human Years as 7 is to 1 = Wrong

This! I’ve buried too many dogs in my life and they all take a piece of my heart with them!

Sandy, RIP :heartpulse:

14 Likes

… they look like what IIRC are called “gamma curves” in image processing :thinking:

3 Likes

Sorry for your loss, she looks delightful.

NB: In case anyone inferred from my last post that Baillie was no longer with us, don’t worry, he is still going strong at nine-and-a-half.
I just thought you might enjoy a picture of a wet mutt (I mean, who doesn’t).

He doesn’t like the shower bit too much, but he loves the ‘being rubbed ferociously with fluffy towel’ part and then going mental all over the carpets and furniture for a good twenty minutes.

Which brings me to one of my friend’s favourites adages:
‘You either have nice things, or you have a dog’.
:slightly_smiling_face:

14 Likes

I mean, no. “Accepted by who” might be a better question.

Veterinarians (including both in my family) hate that expression. It doesn’t mean anything. Dogs are a different species with a different life span and development cycle. Trying to map that to humans isn’t of any value aside from colloquial metaphor and our incessant need to anthropomorphize.

It was never a scientific fact or data point used in any empirical context

More importantly, I appreciate that Boingers mostly just took over this thread with posting pictures of dogs. More please.

17 Likes

Not exactly; some parts of the body fully replace over time, some only a small percentage replaces over years, and some cells don’t get replaced at all.

4 Likes

Of course there is an argument to be had about your atoms, as well. Regardless of the exact truth, either way we are essentially a Ship of Theseus

5 Likes

This seems interesting and useful, but:

That whole angle is horse apples and he knows it. A tree doesn’t get younger if you shave off its outer rings, and a facelift doesn’t need to change the structure of your DNA to make you look younger. And insulin and antibiotics and hygiene can objectively extend life in ways we can already measure.

Even if DNA methylation were the sole cause of aging, that doesn’t mean methylation and aging are the same thing. As far as I understand it, no one thinks methylation is the only “death clock” mechanism anyway, and it‘s likely that preventing it would cause new problems (it may function in part as a “best before” date on DNA molecules). We also don’t know to what extent things like wrinkles, sclerosis and cognitive decline are just entropic processes that would happen over time even if you had the permanent biochemistry of a 23 year old.

Tl;dr: science reporting needs to be better at separating actual science from grantsmanship.

7 Likes

Wasn’t this one of the themes in Waking Life?

3 Likes

It’s been a long time since I last watched it, so I am no longer sure. I know there is a lot of discussion about quantum indeterminacy and whether it has a role in consciousness, but I don’t remember if it specifically goes into the atom replacement/ship of theseus/we are not our atoms idea

(Also a reminder I should watch it and A Scanner Darkly again)

4 Likes

Can’t remember if it was cells or atoms, but it was in there… (I believe the location may have been the Flight Path Coffeehouse, which I frequented back in the early- to mid-90s.)

3 Likes

Ah! Cells! Found it then!

"Well, he’s talking about like, say, a baby picture. So you pick up this picture, this two-dimensional image, and you say, “That’s me.” Well, to connect this baby in this weird little image with yourself living and breathing in the present, you have to make up a story like, “This was me when I was a year old, and then later I had long hair, and then we moved to Riverdale, and now here I am.” So it takes a story that’s actually a fiction to make you and the baby in the picture identical to create your identity.

And the funny thing is, our cells are completely regenerating every seven years. We’ve already become completely different people several times over, and yet we always remain quintessentially ourselves.

Hmm."

3 Likes

I can’t remember the source of the original quote, but:

‘Never anthropomorphize animals, they hate it.’

13 Likes

Poppy the dog says hello. Also from 2008 and now.
He takes a stroller ride for longer walks and steals faces in the process.

15 Likes

He does what now?

(This may just be a common phrase I’ve never heard before. I hope).

3 Likes

All hail Poppy from the House of Black and White.

7 Likes
5 Likes

Thanks, @anon52120741, though I am even more confused now, albeit slighter wiser on trivia.
:thinking:

3 Likes

I am assuming that the sticker patch on Poppy’s stroller indicates he is big fan

6 Likes

This is the part in that article that explains it. To a point. :slight_smile:

Although the song does not appear on the album, the title derives from the lyrics of “He’s Gone”:

Like I told you, what I said
Steal your face right off your head

The cover art prominently features the “Lightning Skull” logo. One of the band’s iconic images, it was designed by Owsley Stanley to mark equipment cases, then rendered by Bob Thomas

It’s also one of my favorite Dead songs, personally.

Nine mile skid on a ten mile ride, hot as a pistol but cool inside
Cat on a tin roof, dogs in a pile
Nothin’ left to do but smile, smile, smile

5 Likes

Oh, that is some Sherlock shit, right there, @anon52120741 and @sdmikev .

I would not have spotted that in a million years.
Thank you both for the enlightenment!

4 Likes