Donald Trump hires plainclothes security to investigate and interdict protesters

The GOP leaders have started to ridicule him. That’s something the GOP hasn’t generally done, at least during my lifetime.

The big examples were Sen McCain and Gov. Romney last week and, after Chicago, the NYT reported on others, including Sen. Rubio.

Senator Marco Rubio, fighting for his political life in Florida’s primary on Tuesday, likened Mr. Trump to a third-world strongman. …

3 Likes

I wouldn’t argue a single word.

So you’re saying that pointing out the absurdity of his statements would hurt viewership/revenue?

True, and it seems unprecedented

1 Like

Third-world strongman appears to be exactly what his followers are looking for, unfortunately.

They’re trying to elect a Tyrant, in the old Athenian sense. A strong central figure with near unlimited powers, chosen to deal with a crisis that conventional political structures have failed to cope with.

Of course, your ideal Athenian Tyrannos would be chosen for their judgement, responsibility, honour and sense of duty to the city. And they’d be expected to use their powers to the minimum degree necessary to get the job done, then voluntarily step down.

Not quite what we’re dealing with in reality.

8 Likes

Nicely phrased!

1 Like

Yes, I think it would. The whole money-generating Story requires generally taking him as a serious candidate, which means making no serious journalistic efforts to point out this potential Kong’s lack of clothing. That very sort of attention is what especially helps to make him a “serious candidate” and potential president. All while most of the participants know very well that he’s a horrific candidate. Real journalism is basically dead in the corporate media, but who knows, maybe someone will step up and do to him what Katie Couric did to Sarah Palin. Especially if Mrs Clinton becomes the nominee, since she promises to be entirely corporate friendly.

5 Likes

Speaking of the Republican National Convention, what’s going on with plans to protest that? Are any boingers going? Are locals offering crash space to people from out of town?

I want to go, but I’m not finding much information (and am not inside any US-based activist circles).

1 Like

Don’t think much of us, do you?

You would think “established journalist X says Trump full of shit” would be a ratings grabber.

You then have two (or more) actors yell at one another interspersed with clips of Trump saying “I’ll have the smartest team” and other nonsense.

Surely ratings gold, no?

• edit

Ah, but what if he wins and you’ve now lost your spot at the trough…

1 Like

Exactly. There is that whole “access” thing to worry about if he does win. Also, who knows, maybe some are afraid as well of his reputed connections with The Mob.

1 Like

Somehow I think that he’s seen this coming. It would probably be spun as one more attack by the lamestream media, something to have been expected, and subsequently dismissed.

4 Likes

Maybe so. That does seem to be the preemptive point of calling corporate media the “lamestream media, always ready with their gotcha questions!”

As if there’s something wrong with journalists doing their jobs correctly (not that corporate-paid ones usually do).

6 Likes

About 40% of America is already under this spell and won’t notice media condemnation of Trump’s nonsense.

There are a few on the fringe that might notice though.

I’m mostly disappointed because I like reality and feeling connected to it. When the majority of media embraces crazy fantasies and echo blatant falsity I start to feel very uncomfortable.

3 Likes

Living in the U.S., I’ve already felt that way for a loooooong time. There’s so much that’s horrible about reality as most people live it that the corporate media here completely ignore, or if they do pay attention to it, they completely distort it. It is frightening how many people accept the corporate worldview as more real than reality itself.

2 Likes

The human power to believe what we wish were true is really effectively harnessed in politics :frowning:

3 Likes

I don’t know… the first letter of his name isn’t ‘H’, so I don’t think the comparison is valid.

2 Likes

Arump, Honald?

1 Like

I’m afraid Honald can’t run for president because he was born in Austria.

6 Likes

Austria, Canada, what’s the diff? As long as the other country is a white one, who cares!

2 Likes

Well Scalia isn’t around anymore to tell us what the framers meant by “natural born” with his psychic link to their spirits, so we many never know. Maybe “natural born citizen” means someone who is currently a citizen who was not delivered through a C-section (known as the anti-Macduff clause).

9 Likes