Donald Trump redesigned the Presidential Challenge Coin, replacing "E pluribus unum" with "Make America Great Again"

It’s not that the coin is changing, it’s that it’s so goddamn tacky.

9 Likes

For a second, just a second, I thought the article title began “Donald Trump resigned …”. :frowning:

12 Likes

The new national motto should be:

e pluribus unum percent ad

“from the many to the one percent” in approximate pig Latin

15 Likes

Shouldn’t the motto be:

capto naturale eius debent

6 Likes

That’s just the presidential motto, Sir.

So is creating a nutty version of the Presidential seal itself:

The presidential seal has been replaced by an eagle bearing President Drumpf’s signature. The eagle’s head faces right, not left, as on the seal. The 13 arrows representing the original states have disappeared.

The Presidential challenge coin tradition, short-lived though it is (it apparently started with Clinton), seems to be to make one side of the coin some variation of the actual Presidential seal sans motto (representing the office) with the other side used for personalisation for the office-holder (including the signature for Clinton and Obama):

The collector above didn’t have Prince Bush’s coin, but one side again has the regular seal:

bushcoinrev

with the obverse of coin being this:

bushcoinobv

Note that Junior’s coin emphasises the military role of the office over the civilian one, which is fine but again contrasts with Il Douche’s approach:

Some ethics experts questioned the unprecedented decision to include a campaign slogan on the coins, which are often distributed to members of the military.

“For the commander in chief to give a political token with a campaign slogan on it to military officers would violate the important principle of separating the military from politics, as well as diminishing the tradition of the coin,” said Trevor Potter, a Republican former chairman of the Federal Election Commission.

8 Likes

Three words for ya:
Kah. Lass. Eeee.

9 Likes

Check out that headline. And read Cory’s take on the subject.

Otherwise yes. It’s tacky and narcissistic. It also sounds like he’s altered the presidential seal. Throwing MAGA on there and removing the arrows that represent the 13 colonies.

That’s the usual approach to these thing. 1 side will contain a unit insignia, branch or organization logo or what have. The obverse varies. Mission patch. Personal design. Etc.

4 Likes

… as here’s last year’s motto over at that Electoral College, whose enrolled students I wish to have a word with:

4 Likes

I find it more interesting and telling that the olive branch has disappeared too.

15 Likes

god i hate him so much

i’ve just decided i’m going to try and be drunk until new year’s.

12 Likes

I was going to say, I hate trump, but i f*cking want one of these!

Isn’t it glorious?

Obama’s is the classiest of the bunch by far.

6 Likes

There he goes. Talking down America again.

2 Likes

It’s the perfect symbol for the perv. Exactly like visiting an old and revered location and finding that one of the short bus junior high kids scrawled his name on the walls. Tacky, tasteless and immediately identifiable as the work of a known idiot who has a pathological need to see his mark everywhere. Pitiful little man who will leave a lasting mark on the in the same way the Taliban destroyed the great Buddha statues. His presence noted primarily for what he detracted.

It could only be more representative if he added his intellectual comment of “grab 'em by the Purse” …or whatever

1 Like

He put his name on it 4 fucking times. 4.

12 Likes

not on trump wine, I hope?

2 Likes

I was about to ask where the 4th one was when I saw the signature. Jesus fucking Christ.

3 Likes

I know, right. The guy is seriously ill.

2 Likes

Yeah. It’s tacky, but everything about Trump is tacky. And this isn’t some grand tradition stretching back centuries. It started with Clinton. The motto thing is ugly, but he’s a narcissist obsessed with gold. I also doubt the motto on the challenge coin is what is going to particularly erode the separation of military and civilian politics.

This just doesn’t seem to warrant the level of outrage presented. I’m saving that for the tax bill and everything Mueller is digging up.

2 Likes

Who’s outraged here? It’s more facepalm than anything.

9 Likes