Donald Trump redesigned the Presidential Challenge Coin, replacing "E pluribus unum" with "Make America Great Again"

manybellsdown
god i hate him so much

i’ve just decided i’m going to try and be drunk until new year’s.

Chin up!

illegitimi non carborundum

:slightly_smiling_face:

And with apologies to my Catholic education and more specifically Horace for this latin butchery, I humbly submit as the next slogan for his most bronze tanned Orange Julius:

stupiditas aere perennius (stupidity more lasting than bronze)

7 Likes

I’ve seen a good number of challenge coins, and while some are indeed classier looking than others, the whole notion of them is rather tacky.

The only challenge coins I think that are worth talking about are those used in combat, for the original purpose of confirming your allegiance. All of the coins are simply used for nostalgia and free drinks.

2 Likes

The Presidential challenge coin is a venerable tradition, dating back almost 25 years. How dare you.

4 Likes

Either Olds or Cat (I forget which) used to issue large coins which said on one side “1 TUIT” and on the other “You have now got a round tuit”. I’m sorry if everybody else already knows this.

Anyway; citizens of the USA: Trump needs to go. Please start issuing TUITs at once.

3 Likes

Unlike the supply of bronze, stupidity is a constantly self-renewing resource and may even be infinite.

3 Likes

3 Likes

Damn, that’s African dictator level of insane.

12 Likes

So, why does his eagle face right instead of left…obviously some sort of drumpf BS.

1 Like

I like to shoot at tossed coins; I use a light rifle and shoot from the hip. I only have about a 33% success rate, but what the heck–I want one of these for a target.

3 Likes

This is the other Pythagorean theorem: “Stupidity increases as the square of the population.”

1 Like

Because they’re petty, empathy-challenged and superficial right-wing ideologues pandering to idiots. Otherwise, they could put themselves in the talons of the original bird in the seal and imagine that, from his point of view, he’s looking toward his right.

2 Likes

Or…

Manus enim mea magna. Maximus!

1 Like

I like the coin.

It correctly depicts “Donald J. Trump” as a cancerous appendage to the body of the nation.

[Also: if you want to avoid the The Washington Post paywall, use NoScript to forbid washingtonpost.com.]

3 Likes

Aside from all the tacky elements, the size and that stupid scroll completely detract from the nominal intended purpose. Who wants a outsized “coin” in their pocket which has four sharp corners?

Edit: six sharp corners! How on earth do you screw up a circle that badly?

7 Likes

Its a bit harsh to consider the whole thing tacky or useless.

In practice they’re typically given to troops in recognition of something they’ve done that’s remarkable but doesn’t rise to the level of a commendation or medal. That would be their primary purpose. The drinking games, and I haven’t met that many people who actually bother with them, is just a goofy way of blowing off steam.

Well, at the risk of invoking Godwin in a slightly different manner… There’s one other noteworthy eagle where the head faced right: Parteiadler

3 Likes

Perhaps true, but you said it yourself. They are not medals. They are tokens. And for this fact they remain rather trivial, contrived, and lacking great significance. Tradition? Meh. We can do better. Yes, they illustrate you are part of the ‘team’, but do you see these handed out selectively to team members, rather than to everyone? If that’s the case, it raises other issues of favouritism and prejudice I won’t delve into here.

the designers were lucky to get away with that. he wanted it to be all gold, and worth more than any coin ever made, the most valuable coin ever.

wait, the ribbon is part of it? the guy doesn’t even understand f’n coins.
that is a crap coin shape, guess it fits the crap shape of our crap president.

2 Likes

Here is a military challenge coin from my brother, in case anyone is wondering what a typical challenge coin looks like.

military_challenge_coin

11 Likes

Eh. I’m sure the overwhelming majority of the population has never particularly cared about these coins before, and Trump has been selling off useless baubles for quite some time now (and will probably never stop).

Alt Text: “By stimulating demand among tacky-garbage producers to print even more tacky garbage, Otto is very selflessly Creating American Jobs.”

8 Likes