Donald Trump says he will take NBC and other news outlets off the air if he wins in 2024

No need for the CIA to take out Trump when McDonald’s will do it for you.

4 Likes

“Have you got a difficult enemy you can’t seem to get rid of? Call 0800-Putin and ask about the Window Of Opportunity™”

12 Likes

More like goose-stepping with tiki torches.

7 Likes

“… one big campaign contribution to the Radical Left Democrat Party.”

Funny that you should say that, Donald, because I’ve been thinking for quite a while now that Fox News (and OAN, and one or two others) represent a truly massive multi-year donation-in-kind to the strange toxic thing that calls itself the Republican Party these days.

Will you be taking them off the air too, in the interests of “fairness and balance”?

6 Likes

um…Sometimes they are. That’s basically how cell-phone frequencies get assigned. They are literally auctioned off. Broadcasters, OTOH are for profit companies that get to use a significant amount of a limited resource controlled by the federal government for free with the only caveat that it be used “in the public interest.” It’s even more of a sinicure than cutting timber or mining in national forests. They actually get the deal that the Bundy’s wanted: proprietary use of a commonly owned resource for free.

3 Likes

But not TV and radio airwaves, which is what @Tamsin_Bailey was obviously referring to.

3 Likes

Even more specifically, I meant TFG probably thinks the actual wobbly lines in the sky exist. I have a strong suspicion his practical knowledge of the electromagnetic spectrum is somewhat lacking.

11 Likes

oh I am absolutely on Team Cholesterol but how long is it going to take?

4 Likes

They must be real! They are right there!

9 Likes

Looking straight at the sun immediately after being told not to isn’t even in the Top Ten of stupid shit he’s done.

19 Likes

People, this is RIGHT OUT of Hitler’s playbook. Not unexpected from a man who supposedly keeps a copy of Mein Kampf on his bedside table. He MUST be stopped.

6 Likes

Maybe not long. Greasy fingers and firearms are a recipe for a “whoops.”

3 Likes

You think he’s actually going to carry that? That was for show. I promise as soon as they were off camera and out of sight, he handed that gun to an aide and said, “Get rid of this thing. Sell it or something.”

6 Likes

His campaign will protect him by getting a trigger lock. He’ll never figure out how to take that off. It’s the same way they protect him from OTC drugs: child safety gadgetry.

2 Likes

Maybe I’m mentally using this as a catch-all, but here’s #8 in the list in Umberto Eco’s Ur-Fascism:

by a continuous shifting of rhetorical focus, the enemies are at the same time too strong and too weak.

Here’s an example of how one non-Fox network held Trump’s feet to the fire back in 2016.

4 Likes

They’ve back tracked that he didn’t buy it, since he’s charged with felonies and all.

But really, when has he ever followed through and paid for something ever?

He can get away with saying he’s buying drinks/burgers/dinner for everyone and then walking out and the place will just charge the patrons directly. However, a firearm dealer isn’t going to take the PR statement and hand over the firearm. They’ll want the payment before they let the thing go. They’re not stupid.

2 Likes

a-man-can-dream-though-sigh

1 Like

Probably can’t be done in the US yet, but conservatives here in Korea played the long game, and could probably actually pull something similar off. In our case, choking off one broadcaster (TBS, probably only has 3 months of air left), changing the heads at two public broadcasters (KBS, MBC) and kick out the news crew, and privatizing two other public broadcasters (KBS2, EBS).

All with legal mechanisms put in place over the years.

1 Like

As long as I get my huge annual bonus that I can use to buy citizenship in some tropical country when the crap hits the fan then it is all good. Don’t you people believe in (unfettered) capitalism?!

These people are hideous.

3 Likes

“… Your Honor, has my client committed ALL THE CRIMES? Did he commit EVERY POSSIBLE CRIME? Surely not. That PROVES he didn’t do this either.” :thinking:

2 Likes