Donald Trump threatens protesters while promoting Oklahoma campaign rally during pandemic

Nope. The curfew specifically was targeting protesters and the text of the order specifically banned carrying flammable liquids in open/glass containers. The mayor also said he did it because of the protesters:

Bynum said in a statement that he imposed the curfew Thursday at the request of Tulsa Police Chief Wendell Franklin, after consulting with the Secret Service and based on their intelligence.

“I have received information from the Tulsa Police Department and other law enforcement agencies that shows that individuals from organized groups who have been involved in destructive or violent behavior in other states are planning to travel to the City of Tulsa for purposes of causing unrest in and around the rally,” the order states.

Since it turned out that the curfew was only affecting Trump supporters, Trump personally called the mayor and asked him to rescind it, which he did.

9 Likes

I think the police could find some existing law to cover that.

I still wonder if the mayor was playing a double game: Ban buses of Antifa boogeymen, and meanwhile keep the interactions with out-of-town rally-goers to a minimum. If so, too bad he folded.

1 Like

Yeah, Thursday night would be a curfew. Thursday night to Sunday morning? That’s a lockdown.

4 Likes

A little too specific to be covered by existing law. They were specifically targeting anyone thinking of making a Molotov cocktail, obviously, not just those who were making - and throwing - them. The dude’s a Trumper, as is the law enforcement there, and the curfew was entirely a law-enforcement-driven attempt to thwart antifa. Because, based on social media used by the police, apparently the cops are really into antifa fantasies/conspiracies. Once it became clear the curfew was only going to impact Trump fans, that was the end of it.

The Trump campaign chose the location precisely because the city wouldn’t be fussy about hosting a super-spreader event. The mayor initially downplayed the risk - though I guess he later admitted it was “possible” it could be risky. So… yeah, he obviously wasn’t too bothered.

4 Likes

Can we get a tRump rally officially classified as a protest against common sense and any sense of humanity?

That way they can get all violent on themselves and leave the rest of us out of it.

3 Likes

Someone’s been listening to the Omnibus!

This was not only because we weren’t worried about incompetent decision-making. His Twitter usage didn’t screw up news coverage by taking time and space away from more important stories. 45 wouldn’t constantly be in my thoughts if his dumb tweets didn’t appear in the top ten news stories every day.

If someone had shown me a site in the past three years that totally ignored him, I would’ve become a regular visitor. I look forward to the day he fades into obscurity, and a future where there’s not a single headline or post with his name in it.

6 Likes

“…you will not be treated like you have been in New York, Seattle, or Minneapolis. It will be a much different scene!”

So the cops won’t be shooting rubber bullets and tear gas, clubbing people, targeting journalists and inciting violence against peaceful protesters? Sounds great.

8 Likes

Fox management thinking about their demographics:

9 Likes

Ties in pretty well with the rumors that the campaign has had to advertise heavily for local actors to try and fill the stadium.

6 Likes

So they are trying to re enact the Cincinnati Who Concert disaster with “festival seating”

6 Likes

They could use patriot militia types for a little Altamont Free Concert flavor.

4 Likes

There are lovely spots. But by and large these spots are away from humans.

A woman with a ticket to the rally was arrested for wearing a black shirt with the words “I Can’t Breathe” printed on it.

[I now see this was picked up in the Even More Trumpian Events thread]

4 Likes

Wrapped in black, sitting on the pavement on a sunny day, didn’t seem to be blocking traffic.

If they’d left her alone, their problem would have solved itself in an hour. They just can’t stand People Out Of Place.

4 Likes

Wait, how is this not a description of Trump and his supporters?

8 Likes

To be fair to the President, if everyone had followed his advice there would be no tests and therefore no campaign workers testing positive at the rally.

8 Likes

It’s amazing how it’s always projection. Even, to some degree, their fantasies about antifa. It’s encapsulated in those photos of heavily armed guys wearing outfits that associated them with the “Boogaloo” movement, guarding their rural communities against the “violence” of imaginary antifa invaders… while their Boogaloo compatriots were the actual threat - murdering police officers and committing acts of terrorism elsewhere.

13 Likes

I’m really loving the shit out of Gen Z and K-Pop kids this morning :heart:

8 Likes

Aren’t lowlifes constitutionally protected??!?

Asking for a friend.