Donald Trump's home at Mar-a-Lago raided by the FBI

If the Russian oligarch’s yachts weren’t all in hiding I’d say he’d bolt by sea.

9 Likes

If they haven’t already… :face_with_monocle:

10 Likes

Best case scenario, espionage is a capital offense, and I don’t see us executing a President without it going in front of the Supreme Court. And that’s where I expect the worst case scenario, which involves Kavanaugh.

That would be in the sentencing phase, after a conviction.

If they limit the sentence to 10 years per document, I’m ok with that. How many documents were in those 15 boxes? 100? I would be satisfied with a thousand year prison sentence for 45.

25 Likes

Not all violations of the Espionage Act are espionage per se. Sounds like the specific charges being discussed here could potentially result in fines or jail time but certainly not capital punishment:

The most serious of the charges, the one involving destroying records in a federal investigation, carries a maximum possible sentence of up to 20 years in prison.

I’ll be shocked if he actually serves a day in prison, much less years. But more realistically he could also be barred from holding public office and that’s something I’d definitely call a win.

27 Likes

White House national security expert on Ari Melbar clarified that when the search warrant says something like 4 secret docs - it actually says 4 incidents of miscellaneous docs which means many, many docs.

These things were kept in an unlocked room in Mar-a-lago. No lock on the door at all. In a place we know was swarming with spies.

I wonder whether someone let people rummage through the room in order for deals being approved or people buying condos or special stock issues or for loans that won’t be repaid.

26 Likes

The current supreme court is definitely devoted to Nationalist Christian ideals, but I’m not sure I expect them to harbor any loyalty to the man who put them there the moment he stops being useful to them.

21 Likes

He is the Useful Idiot removing himself from play. They will drop him.

18 Likes

Ah c’mon, now; look on the dark side! Just giving up and claiming defeat before the fight is even over is so simple and requires no actual effort at all…

Sarcasm aside, reading that did make my cold dark heart quicken…

22 Likes

It's not like I could have done anything
(From oglaf, which is generally nsfw)

25 Likes

Trump’s Mar-a-Lago is heaven — for spies

https://www.politico.com/story/2017/03/trump-mar-lago-security-risk-espionage-235950?_amp=true

15 Likes

I know of Oglaf; I am a fan!

33 Likes
38 Likes

Saw an analysis of this yesterday. The requirements for president are stated in the Constitution, and it is likely that any restrictions could be placed on it beyond those. So, barred from holding some public offices, but probably not president.

16 Likes

Don’t be a thief of hope.

19 Likes

I would disagree with that analysis. The 14A was very clearly saying that no confederates could be anywhere near power again, from dog catcher to President. The wording in the Espionage Act is almost identical.

16 Likes

No constitutional lawyer, me. NPR dude talking. This was before the info was unsealed. No clue how accurate they were.

14 Likes

I totally get it. No offense to you, and not even to NPR lawyer person, but that’s an idiotic analysis. The requirements in Article 2 are bare minumum requirements, not maximum requirements.

“Ok, I’ve got ‘35 years old and a natural born citizen.’ We ahould probably stop there; this is already a ‘purple squirrel’ job description.”

16 Likes

Well Marge filed articles of impeachment against Merrick Garland.

Who didn’t see that coming?

18 Likes

She should get up to speed on the latest current events:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/some-trump-allies-reportedly-are-trying-to-go-dark-amid-search-warrant-revelations/ar-AA10BMv9?ocid=msedgntp&cvid=3646c2a4fba346c491943d71507905ae

17 Likes