Door ding results in total loss: a Fisker Ocean story

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2024/04/29/door-ding-results-in-total-loss-a-fisker-ocean-story.html

2 Likes

, being trapped inside the vehicle,

wait.wait.wait, this one deserves a bit of elaboration. (always supposed that when the ‘A.I.’-pocalypse hits it would involve car door locks and auto-driving to ‘human detention centers’, or just off cliffs)

(“we would’ve named it ‘Fis-kars’ but that was already trademarked”)

6 Likes

Thanks for that clarification - I really thought the scissors people had branched out into electric cars.

8 Likes

I would expand that to say that buying any vehicle from any start-up automaker is, and probably always has been, a risky proposition. (As innovative as it was, early adopters who bought a Tucker 48 had many issues to deal with) Which is a shame, because I’d like to see more options out there so I’d really like more companies to succeed.

Back around 2010 I went to an electric car expo and was looking at the options at the time. The only practical-looking options were the Nissan Leaf and the Coda. I talked to an engineer from Coda asking about what advantages the car had over the Leaf, and how likely it was that an owner would be able to get parts and dealer support. His answers were refreshingly honest but not at all reassuring, especially since the Nissan was about the same price and had the advantage of a large dealer network. The roughly 100 Californians who did buy the Coda likely regretted their decision when the company went bankrupt a few years later.

10 Likes

Meme Reaction GIF by Robert E Blackmon

for the people who want reliable transporation instead of a garage trophy, I’d suggest the following three guidelines:

1. Never buy the first model year of a vehicle. Wait a year or so until all the manufacturing / design issues are worked out.
  2. Wait a few more years if it’s a new brand, unless there’s a larger automaker funding the startup. (Rivian got a lot of it’s startup funding from GM, IIRC.)
  3. Avoid cars on union strike years, especially if the maker used scabs to keep the lines moving; not from sabotage, but rather inexperienced people working the line. (and because it’s happened in the past, sabotage prior to the start of the strike or after.)
  4. Don’t buy a tesla. (that’s a bonus one for y’all.)

(Admittedly, #3 on the list may be inaccurate, but it was something handed down to me from my blue-collar parents.)

8 Likes

For a counterpoint, I’ve had a Kia Niro EV for 3 years and been nothing but happy with it. Excellent car, excellent warranty support etc etc.

Since the theme on here seems to be ‘EV bad’ lately.

5 Likes

You can tell it’s not that fiskars; it isn’t orange.

7 Likes

That’s advice that I personally follow, but I’m kinda glad that not everyone follows. Otherwise we’d never get any new car companies or new models.

7 Likes

Funny how people spend their money.

If my cousin starts a car company and I’ve got first-hand knowledge the product is solid and the business plan is legit… I’ll buy one.

But you get these renegade CEOs fresh from a stint running a cult who bring more disgruntled tech bros into the fold to disrupt a market, insist the ‘prototype’ just needs to be a fancy fiberglass/carbon body (the tech will come in time), get it out there and find investors!!!

Don’t worry the product only appeals to scared affluent White people who lead drab lives and are looking for a way to peacock amongst their peers.

I have so much money… I’ve done so well - better than you - I can be a risk taker and plunk down $120k on vaporware from a brochure. It’s what confident people do. YOU can have your Tesla. I’m putting my trust into something even more questionable.

The “No Ragrets” sitting in your driveway.

6 Likes
1 Like

So they had this terrible experience with Fisker, and decided to buy a Tesla instead. So much for going with reliable automakers. Nissan Leaf? Kia EV6? Nah. Go with the company with weeks-long repair lines.

7 Likes

I had a friend who bought a Fisker Karma and returned it immediately.

Did it run over his dogma?

10 Likes

Re: no.3 also, potential quality issues notwithstanding, just don’t buy stuff made by people who employ scabs whenever possible.

3 Likes

It’s worse than that…

I thought that guy was the designer of the scissors! :blush:

3 Likes

He’s a bit too young for that.

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.