Dozens killed in terror attack in Brussels

Twitter users are showing support for Belgium by posting images of Tintin.

Unfortunately, some users are posting Tintin imagery for their own purposes.

3 Likes

I can handle that, but if James Taylor shows up to sing to the Belgians I disavow responsibility for myself…

Funny thing about that quote is that my Muslim friends in Paris gave me that very advice because I “look Jewish”

3 Likes

My feeling is that these attackers knew that they would be pulled in soon, as information was collected from the recent arrests. So they used whatever explosives they had against comparatively soft targets.

2 Likes

And there we go… free translation from a Belgian news-paper:
“The terror attack gives the sign for a new era. There are worries that the ‘war on terror’ will go against privacy. But there is no way back.” It’s the media talking, but you know…

6 Likes

Exactly what I expected.

An because it is Brussels, it is highly likely it will be pushed EU-wide.

Farewell privacy, it was nice having you.

5 Likes

It’s way to early over here, but I want to, will make coffee for now, but do you want a drink?

8 Likes

not only the media, the French permier minister sounds like a broken record with his “we’re at war” statement and conservative politicians in Germany use Brussels to demand that the strict boundery between secret services and police agencies is removed.

5 Likes

Thanks, will actually be a good thing today.

3 Likes

Yes, good idea, give them what they want. Instead looking at the big picture and try, how hard and partial impossible it will be, to fix things at the root. How strange it will sound, and I’m completely horrified by the idea, but somehow I can ‘understand’ this kind of things from extremists (Christians), it’s in the book and that kind of jada, jada. But from the premier and other politicians… It’s acting like puppets.[quote=“renke, post:48, topic:75398”]
and conservative politicians in Germany use Brussels to demand that the strict boundery between secret services and police agencies is removed.
[/quote]

What could possibly go wrong?
It’s all for safety isn’t? snirf

6 Likes

What do you like?
Please, there you go, and YW. I will join in later.

2 Likes

People’s memories are so short - the Stasi were only a generation ago. You would expect Germans to be about the most resistant to this kind of message. (Many are, but it’s disturbing to see how many people are willing to listen to these messages).

6 Likes

This is the kind of discussion, that was inevitable and which I was anticipating with dread:

http://indy100.independent.co.uk/article/some-people-are-using-the-brussels-explosions-to-make-terrible-arguments-about-the-eu--bJe8R4j11xb

this hapenned despite the surveillance, having my info taking up space and destroying focus !

2 Likes

Well, at least he’s got the order of operations right…

4 Likes

Here is another one, Australian Prime Minister Malcolm Turnbull says 'weakness in European security' to blame for Brussels attacks | The Independent | The Independent

The Prime Minister of a remote Island, 70% of which is uninhabitable telling the EU that removing borders is the real problem --and if we would only return to our good old European ways of fighting over every inch Europe would be a better place.

5 Likes

Irish Cream is my favorite for common sipping. Salmiakkikossu as a victory drink after a success.

My guess is that it will be used to suppress dissent. If the cost of the social programs to keep us happy-ish and not rebelling too much exceed the cost of surveillance and enforcement to keep us from not rebelling too much, the latter will be deployed instead.

Fear is a mind killer.

Because of $EVENT, we have to do $MY_OPINION. Typical and common.

5 Likes

So would the years of austerity ruining prospects compounded with what seems to be no engagement by the government for long enough for dissent to take hold?

2 Likes

Not[quote=“AcerPlatanoides, post:9, topic:75398, full:true”]

Yes. We call that Victim Blaming around here.

Bra-fucking-vo, by the way.
[/quote]

Not sure if you follow the news but here are the blunders which have emerged within 24 hours of this atrocity

1. It took the Belgian agencies four months to find and arrest the most wanted man in Europe, who was “hiding” in the centre of the European Capital, and whose whereabouts must have been known to numerous people who are known to the police.

2. During the arrest on Friday two suspects escaped. Five days later these fugitives had sufficient access to explosive to be responsible for the biggest terrorist attack the country had seen.

If these are not blunders, I don’t know what is. Somehow the intelligence service was asleep on the job, and / or the usual Belgian infighting was presumably a contributing factor.

I feel for the victims and feel lucky that this time it wasn’t me or anyone dear to me.

My larger point was and is, the human brain at its best asks questions, good questions asked well help make the world a better place.

The question here for me is, what can and could the security services do better, to make the likelihood of a terrorist attack smaller. I think that is an important and legitimate question. Maybe in your eyes I didn’t ask it well.

We should have an influence on the security services, they are accountable to us the citizenry. We do not have influence on the Terrorists, they are unpredictable, rogue elements. We have to focus on the people we can influence not the ones who are outside–unreachable.

3 Likes

Brussels is the most unequal city in Europe, a huge service class sustaining a class of entitled bureaucrats who rarely leave a conference room. I would guess this an ideal breeding ground for terrorists.

2 Likes