Dr Drew invoked copyright laws to scare people from sharing video of his coronavirus comments

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/04/07/dr-drew-invoked-copyright-laws.html

2 Likes

The comment reply button is stuck in the loop again.

Many MD’s are quite accomplished scientists, or at least qualified to read and disseminate it. Not all. Like people in a lot of fields, there seems to be a generally inverse relationship between intelligence and volume.

It’s decent he made an apology or sorts and is signed up to volunteer. You’d have to think there’d be better use of his time rather than ham-fistedly threatening to sue folks, but I guess everyone needs a hobby.

5 Likes

If there will ever be a “Winston Smith moment” for conservatives in the USA, the coronavirus pandemic should be it (but probably still won’t.)

7 Likes

The numbers folks are going to be arguing for years about what the data really shows, why some countries did better, were countries lying, what should be counted what shouldn’t, and does all that compare to other loss of life and was the response appropriate. This argument isn’t going to be won by anyone and will be defaulted to party alignment.

The key to this emergency is the fact that Wuhan’s medical system was overwhelmed, same thing happened in other countries, so then how do we stop from being overwhelmed everywhere else? That is what science and medicine is fighting for, every other argument is moving the goalpost.

Back to Drew, fuck him. He knew what was coming, but instead of advocating for his industry he chose denial for whatever personal reasons.

4 Likes

Well that sucks. Dr. Drew used to give some good no-nonsense sex health advice.

It is nice to see he ate crow and apologized. Though the video cuts off after the 4 min mark. I am not sure it was full of qualifications, but in an era where no one, it seems, can admit they are wrong, it was a decent apology.

If he is now actively stressing the importance of the issue and measures and offering to help on the front lines, that helps right the boat, at least.

3 Likes

I was a fan of Loveline 20 years ago. Sad to see Drew has devolved into such a quack. He needs to hang it up.

7 Likes

This isn’t his first fall from grace.

12 Likes

He’s always been a bit of a kink-shaming, slut-shaming jerk, though. And he buys into that stupid (and scientifically unfounded) idea of “sex addiction.”

6 Likes

What do you call the person who graduated at the bottom of their medical school class?
Doctor.

6 Likes

He’s hardly alone. Among others who should have known better, there is that infectious disease Doctor Sharkawy “I’m not afraid of coronavirus… the fact is that it will probably do little harm” who’s polyannaing was shared millions of times. No apology from him yet, although he has done a 180. One of the many times I have found myself yelling at the computer screen over this last month…

Wow, he looks sickly in that periscope sorry. It’s noteworthy how many “reporters” sucked up to him and didn’t do their own homework. Dr. Drew should volunteer in a NYC corona ward now.

Incidentally he is live now on pscp

I don’t have much knowledge in this area, so I’m wondering what the current thinking is on the kinds of behaviors that are often described as sex addiction. I have at least one friend who in the past engaged in very unsafe sexual behaviors, including behaviors they expressly claimed not to wish to engage in. They were able to control their behavior with the use of the sexual equivalent of AA, and describe themselves now as recovering sex addict(s). What would you say is their issue?

Guess he wasn’t able to use his usual tactic to dismiss those who argue or disagree with him: that they’re abuse-surviving drug addicts who need treatment before anyone has to listen to them.

2 Likes

Who would have guessed that wandering even further out of his area of expertise, all the way over to law, might not have worked out brilliantly for him…

MD, JD, the diplomas have roughly the same amount of ornate latin per unit area so they must be broadly interchangeable.

1 Like

Quack gonna quack.

4 Likes

I’m not a psychologist, but my understanding is that there’s a lot more evidence that there are a wide range of compulsive behaviors, such as compulsive eating, compulsive hand washing, compulsive video-game playing, etc., that share more similarities with compulsive sexual activity. “Addiction” is a specific kind of compulsion that doesn’t look a lot like people’s sexual behavior. And I sure wouldn’t go to a religious organization (like AA) to “cure” myself of compulsive behavior of any sort (or, for that matter, any addictions).

1 Like

I remember thinking this wasn’t that big of a deal and that it just sounded like a slightly worse flu. I was so wrong, and I’m glad I was (and am) in no position where I speak to medical issues.

1 Like

This is the trap of being an “Entertainment Doctor” - To stay relevant in the media they feel like they have to make sweeping, declarative statements that plays well in the news.

The correct, scientific method that cites data and is careful to speak to limitations of our knowledge is too wishy-washy for most audiences.

1 Like

Don’t forget Adam Corolla…
HPE-022718-18ARE0021-NSS-DIGS_mm

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.