Trump said to Bob Woodward he intentionally downplayed coronavirus threat

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/09/09/trump-said-to-bob-woodward-he.html

12 Likes

58 Likes

Typo here:

After an hour delay, Kayleigh McEnany is now addressing the press.

Fixed version: After an hour delay, Kayleigh McEnany is now lying to the press.

36 Likes

Ummm - he’s still downplaying Covid-19 , mask wearing, science. Every fracking day.

Edit - I said covid17 originally as it FEELS like it’s been years since things were ‘normal’

29 Likes

In case anyone was wondering:

According to the statutes of the Nobel Foundation, a nomination is considered valid if it is submitted by a person who falls within one of the following categories:

• Members of national assemblies and national governments (cabinet members/ministers) of sovereign states as well as current heads of states
  • […]

So yeah, he made one of his toadies nominate him because it’s something Obama achieved.

14 Likes

Xmas comes early to the Biden campaign

“I wasn’t sure if Santa would get my letter, not with that asshole DeJoy shitting all over the USPS,” Biden mused when asked about the revelations from Woodward’s new book. “I guess it must have gotten through before they removed the sorting machines. I’m going to put Bob’s book into a stocking and beat Mr. Trump about the head and shoulders from now until November.”

19 Likes

Calling it now: If he leaves office, come this january or some time after he’s gonna face genocide charges.

25 Likes

Hey Bob Woodward: fuck you for sitting on this since February. Sincerely, fuck any so-called “journalist” who sits on timely and incredibly important news in order to preserve scoops for a book coming our months later

44 Likes

Surely this…

10 Likes

According to the WaPo, the book covers events all the way through the summer and contains some inflammatory statements from Trump on racial justice. Woodward might have sat on it because stuff of consequence was happening in the country and Trump was still flapping his gums.

From the Post:

In a second conversation, on June 19, Woodward asked the president about White privilege, noting that they were both White men of the same generation who had privileged upbringings. Woodward suggested that they had a responsibility to better “understand the anger and pain” felt by Black Americans.

“No,” Trump replied, his voice described by Woodward as mocking and incredulous. “You really drank the Kool-Aid, didn’t you? Just listen to you. Wow. No, I don’t feel that at all.”

22 Likes

The White House knew in November.

28 Likes
16 Likes

@xeni You missed a good one:

22 Likes

The most surprising thing here isn’t that he knew before there were any US cases, or that he downplayed the threat knowing that hundreds of thousands of lives would be lost or even that it was just as communicable and deadly among youth as adults. The real shocker here is that they still let him talk to Bob Woodward!!! On tape! Like, wtf kind of book do they think Bob Woodward is going to write!?! It’s BOB WOODWARD!

Anyway, great job, Bob. Keep wizarding.

Edited for auto-correct-correct. I know how to pluralize life Apple! Yeesh!

14 Likes

Bah! Trump never understood the problem enough to downplay it. Wishing it would go away, and thinking that a pandemic is a matter of opinion isn’t downplaying it.

6 Likes

And Covid-19 too! :wink:

9 Likes

So he finally admits to lying about something. I think that may be news.

(And @xeni

The news about Trump’s admittance to Woodward

Trump was admitted to Woodward? When someone admits something it’s an admission - and there is a difference. Might you perhaps edit and change this before too many others decide this is correct usage and we lose admission as a cromulent word? Thanks.)

7 Likes

Yeah, far be it from Trump to make Americans panic about something. Everyone knows that he’s always worked to bring the nation a sense of calm and ord—OH MY GOD IT’S A CARAVAN OF MS-13 MEMBERS CROSSING THE BORDER TO HELP ANTIFA STEAL THE ELECTION!!

43 Likes

If you hear the tape from very early February (although it may have been the early March tape), Trump admits to Woodward that the virus will be bad, that it’s much worse than the flu, and he cited 5% of the population as a possibility.

He understood full well what was going on.

28 Likes

Further proof that he’s not just a blithering idiot, he’s also a dangerous blithering idiot.

18 Likes