Drew Carey's incredible rant about his rapturous sexual/religious experience seeing Phish at the Sphere

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2024/04/25/drew-careys-incredible-rant-about-his-rapturous-sexual-religious-experience-seeing-phish-at-the-sphere.html

5 Likes

Um… It’s on CBS at 12:37, after Colbert. Produced by him as well.

The show has it’s moments and the host Taylor Tomlinson is doing a great job. Maybe 60 minutes is a bit long, but…

The Weird Al/Drew/Tom episode should go in the TV hall of fame.

It’s on my DVR and saved as never erase.

10 Likes

Yeah, Comedy Central was the old show. I catch it on youtube the next day, they break it up by commercial break so the whole episode doesn’t drag as much as the hour on the air. And for the Drew Carey ep, they have a supercut of all the Phish at the Sphere stuff. It’s great.

1 Like

Experiences come and go, but it’s how it makes you more human that matters.

3 Likes

Where were you when the acid kicked in?

9 Likes

Great job drawing attention to himself. For a couple few days. :person_shrugging:

1 Like

I think his most famous book is “Dirty Jokes and Beer”, so it’s not exactly off-brand for him in general, though it’s not something I would have expected Bob Barker to tweet.

2 Likes

Maybe he was referring to this? :smiley:

13 Likes

Told a coworker who is really into classic rock about Phish playing at the Sphere and he took the opportunity to tell me how much Phish sucks. Which could be true, i don’t know… i don’t listen to them but if they’re playing at that venue then they must be doing something right. Right? Anyway i’m glad to see that Drew Carey had the best time.

2 Likes

having been to the Sphere, this is awesome. U2 should’ve done that during the opening act.

3 Likes

The posted video even says “CBS Original” right there in the splash screen!

also agree that the #1 thing they could do to improve the show is make it 30 minutes.

For the curious, in Carey’s tweet they’re playing “First Tube”, the last track from their 2000 album Farmhouse.

For the not curious, move about your day.

2 Likes

I’ve seen Phish about 10 times or so over the years. I mean, I have a job so can’t be following jam bands around… :slight_smile:
What impressed me about them early on (I’ve really only been a fan for about 15 years) is that they were able to create a very successful career around touring with literally zero airplay on commercial radio. They toured relentlessly and still pretty much sell out every venue after 40+ years. I believe that only Billy Joel has sold out MSG more times than they have. One run they did in 2017 was 13 shows. They played like 250 songs in that run and never repeated one. They of course, did not repeat a song at the Sphere and also did not repeat any of the graphics.
All four shows were pro-shot in 4k for paid streaming, including some cool drone footage.
Some stuff was posted to YouTube from those streams. Was neat to see at home and get a sense of what it was like inside the place compared to fan posted videos of U2 shows. The Jim Pollock artwork used in the second one below was particularly cool, IMO.

7 Likes

I’m not sure I’d enjoy Phish at The Sphere or anywhere else, but I am glad Drew had a really good time.

I have had some great times at concerts when everything seems to line up right.

5 Likes

I’m not going to pretend I’ve never took the attitude of “anything I don’t like sucks,” but at this point in my life I have difficulty taking that position on anything that’s not harming people. I honestly couldn’t tell you if I’ve heard anything by Phish, but obviously lots of people enjoy them, so tautological reasoning says Phish obviously plays good music for them. (" “For people who like that kind of thing, this is the kind of thing they like.” ― Artemus Ward)

“Not my thing, but I’m glad you found something you enjoy so much” feels so much more healthy to me.

16 Likes

Pittsburgh You Get It GIF by Mike Hitt

The whole “sneering” at others with diffirent tastes in culture seems so… high school?

15 Likes

Seeing people enjoy something is great!

Phish sounds like the perfect act for the Sphere.

3 Likes

An example of militant decency; actively not being a dick, just because something isn’t to your own liking.

We need more of that in the world…

13 Likes

This is the first thing from Phish I’ve ever liked and I’ve seen them like 3 times. Thanks!

2 Likes

I spent a lot of time listening to and seeing Phish in the early ‘aughts and I don’t regret it. I also don’t listen to a thing that they do anymore.

When they’re on, it can be quite inspiring. All four of them are excellent at their instruments and over a lifetime of playing together have developed quite a strong language.

I do feel like the songs that they’ve written and use as vehicles for these musical explorations are wanting, and that’s why I don’t listen to them anymore.

3 Likes