Driver abandons car on tracks of an oncoming train

Let’s suffice it to say it details a very impolite and unhygienic action against the public at large. Very un-Canadian.
If you’re able to access old UCB episodes via cable, maybe it would be there?

2 Likes

found a UCB ASSCAT, no ASSPENNIES…never heard of this group before, looks like I have a new rabbit hole to go down :slight_smile:

1 Like

It’s a great show. Amy Poehler is an alumnus.

2 Likes

Do you have a detail I don’t have? In the video she is backing up from the tracks and is about 4 car lengths away. I’d have backed up even more if I could because when two heavy objects smash into each other, you don’t always know which way things are going to go, and whether metal or glass bits are going to go flying off in your direction.

2 Likes

According to the news article that @stephen_schenck linked to in comment #15 above, she left the scene of the accident and the police had been looking for her. She did eventually turn herself in two days later, and was charged with driving without a license (as well as with leaving the scene of an accident)…so maybe she fled the scene because she feared she’d get arrested for not having a license to drive?

7 Likes

I bet you were being sarcastic, but I sincerely like that about the internet age.

1 Like

That’s probably exactly why.

2 Likes

I thought it looked more like the accident left the scene, smeared across the front of the train. In any case, she wasn’t going to get back in it and drive it home.

Seriously, though, there are some countries where fleeing the scene is advised as a safety measure. I read in a guide book to visiting India that if you’re involved in a traffic accident where a pedestrian is injured (especially a small child or girl), that a vengeful mob might form, and you should quickly leave the accident scene and call the police from your hotel! The idea was that the penalty for fleeing the scene would be more survivable than being burned alive inside the car in case the mob decided to torch it, or being dragged out of it and beaten.

2 Likes

Thanks, I didn’t catch the part about her losing her license. Usually if you leave your car behind, it’s not hard for the police to solve the mystery though.

I had the same thought. Made me wonder if it wasn’t her car. Or maybe she didn’t live at the address on the car-registration?

Appears to be a “London Bridge is falling down” dealy-o.

She gets trapped between the barriers, does not realize they are
push through-able in and in a tense situation wisely removes herself.

2 Likes

Tower Bridge has the raising span (bascule). A bus once jumped it in 1952.

2 Likes

I guess that was pretty harsh. It might be better to characterise her as having panicked. She’s may not be stupid, but I think we can agree that whatever it was she was doing, it was a… bad decision.

2 Likes

berserker

7 Likes

Because then people will drive around them. Yes. People are that stupid.

1 Like

This.

Though I’ve found that a goddamn amount of drivers try to pressure you into this. Even backseat drivers.

I’ve has an older relative almost yell at me because I didn’t rush to park on the track when the barrier went up Antje two cars before me drove, to then stop right away for the regular right light.

Yeah, as if “not blocking the way” or loosing 2 minutes is any reason to park on a track where trains go that couldn’t possibly stop in time.

4 Likes

If it was a 120Y it would still be going today.

Same here. They changed it all to full gates, because idiots kept zigzagging through.

Much more often than people get stuck on the tracks apparently.

Isn’t it an extremely bad design to put a traffic light just after a railroad crossing? They never do that over here. All railroad crossings with roads with lots of traffic (and the possibility of traffic jams) are replaced by underpasses.

3 Likes

Maybe they needed Person Identification instead.

object