Driver spectaculary fails to park car

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/11/20/driver-spectaculary-fails-to-park-car.html

11 Likes

It looks like they set the Parking Accelerator.

32 Likes

NOT THE PORSCHE!

It looks like they accidentally activated launch control.

How do you use the launch control on a Porsche Panamera?

Steps to Use

1. Depress the brake pedal to 100%
  2. Quickly depress and hold the accelerator pedal to 100%. You MUST pass the kickdown notch.
  3. The revs will hold at the preset launch control RPM. …
  4. Release the brake pedal quickly and keep the accelerator at 100%.
  5. Enjoy!
25 Likes

Is it a Panamera? I thought it was a Taycan.

11 Likes

You’re right. It is. But it’s the same procedure.

11 Likes

Hey everybody come out of the house and check out the new car I just bought! With all the money I made selling the house!

9 Likes
21 Likes

The revs hold at a launch control RPM on a Taycan? :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Electric motors still have RPM. :man_shrugging:

When I looked up the procedure for the Taycan, it’s the same as the Panamera.

8 Likes

If it’s anything like my Golf R, you would also need to disable traction control and place it in race mode.

4 Likes

For the Porsche, you just have to have it in Sport mode. Then it’s just mashing brake and accelerator to 100%. As soon as you let up, it’s go time.

I can see where that could happen in a driveway.

11 Likes

That escalated quickly.

33 Likes

I’m thinking, “Oh, I see where this is going - high-performance vehicle and a slight incline, they’re going to gas it and go shooting up the hill, probably into that house.” And then I still managed to be surprised. I’m not quite sure what happened there…

15 Likes

@rocketboy1971 Thanks for your eagle eye! I almost bought the wrong Porsche!

8 Likes

Wheels turned to park on a hill, I guess.

3 Likes

I really want to see the various owners’ insurance claim forms on that one!

8 Likes

Oh, the humanity! I drive many, many vehicles as part of my job, and there’s one modern feature that I have issues with, and which could have caused this: an electronic parking brake.
Stopping on a slope with an electronic brake can be confusing, especially if it’s a new car, because you can get mixed up with how it’s disengaged, and if hill-start isn’t selected and the car starts to roll back, I can see the driver panicking and stomping on the go pedal with this as the result.
My new car has a mechanical handbrake, I trust that a lot more than an electronic one.

25 Likes

Launch control worked, just failed to reach escape velocity. Must have been going pretty fast to spin that 4wd.

4 Likes

Well, it looks like a UK situation, so I’m guessing the poor bugger put it into third instead of first gear, and it ran away with him (or her).

1 Like

And this is why I love driving a crappy 2006 Toyota, already decorated with dents and scratches.

You can’t even hurt me. What are you gonna do? Land a Porsche on me? Fine!

Then again, I’m not a car guy. If I need to get from point A to point B (and I can’t hit public transit and it’s too cold/wet to cycle) then I don’t care what my car looks like and I sure as heck don’t need whatever feature caused that hilarious video. Just hope nobody was injured. Can you imagine if a pedestrian or cyclist was going by at that exact time?

13 Likes