Drowning out the far-right with terrible jazz

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/09/11/drowning-out-the-far-right-wit.html

12 Likes

Hopefully the far-right don’t find out what the Wobblies did when the bosses called in the Salvation Army to drown their speeches out.

I’m guessing that Free Jazz makes that harder to do

13 Likes

It’s very telling that fascists and white supremacists hate, and I mean hate, humour-based counter-protests more than all others. Just like their authoritarian leaders can countenance anything except being ridiculed, far-right scumbags get most frustrated and enraged by the clowns and sousaphone players who show up to mock them. I suppose part of it is that right-wing authoritarians (and conservatives in general) know deep down that they’re so comedy-impaired they have no real counter.

Also, TIL a wonderful new term:

41 Likes

20 Likes

Reminds me of this genius at a klan march.

40 Likes

Came here for this.

8 Likes

The protesters, many of them wearing red clown noses or face paint, played off the “white power” message of their opponents, throwing “white flour” in the air and holding up “wife power” signs.

Protestor Tom Strini, fully decked out in a bulbous red nose and rainbow clown wig, held up a sign reading “Dwight Power,” alongside a picture of NBA star Dwight Howard.

Those are all so so good.

23 Likes

Wouldn’t vuvuzelas be sufficient? No real musical talent required.

13 Likes

I’d say all jazz is better than racism.

32 Likes

Excellent use for a baritone sax; not so much the bass clarinet.

I’d say Dixieland would work pretty well, since it’s pretty upbeat, happy music, where multiple people are soloing at the same time, but you’d need rehearsals beforehand.

(And I can understand why some people hate free jazz, but I find I enjoy it in a live setting. . . when I’m really f$%king high, and when the musicians are doing what I think Carla Bley once called “the chiropractic school of improvisation.”)

3 Likes

This is brilliance, and I fully support this.

This is only being allowed because of Jazz’s reputation of inoffensive and culturally rich- so this is a perversion of it, but for a good purpose.

mighty-boosh-quote-howard

25 Likes
7 Likes

They also have a longstanding hatred of jazz specifically.

31 Likes
6 Likes

They can not stand being mocked. Being made fun of undermines their authoritarian mindset.

14 Likes

Tactical Tuba!

10 Likes

Scotland has this well in hand as well:

22 Likes

Fantastic! Use the pipes to drown out hateful pipes, I love it

8 Likes

Fighting one screeching windbag with another. I like it.

14 Likes