Drunk mountain gorilla punches photographer, who got the shot

Gorilla warfare is no monkey business!

2 Likes

Later the Gorilla put his arms around the Photographer and slurred “I love you bro…you’re my best friend ever”

13 Likes

Anyone else think the post production or whatever else is causing the odd colour saturation and general look of the photos now just makes the gorilla look cgi?

2 Likes

Never get between a drunk gorilla and another drunk gorilla which is going after the first gorilla’s girlfriend.

Got it.

2 Likes

Does look a bit odd and slightly surreal, probably just shadow/highlight adjustments or dodge and burn taken a bit too far (the sky looks a bit too uniformly grey and flat), although I’ve seen worse. A lot worse.

I’ve been to Volcanoes National Park in Rwanda, and hiked to see the rare Mountain Gorillas.
You must be accompanied by a team of experienced guides, and before setting-out, you’re told how to act around the gorillas WRT body-language, noises/vocalisation, not wearing strong perfume/cologne, and keeping your distance. Periodically, the guides – who are familiar with various family-groups of gorillas – update you on their temperament, and if necessary instruct you where to go.
You’re dealing with wild animals, and you’re on their turf. It’s natural for silverback gorillas fight to defend themself and family.
As a keen photographer, I’ve seen other photographers act selfishly or in ignorance to get a “perfect” shot. In this instance, there’s no excuse. What a disgrace.
IMHO, the person who got hit is a fool. You can be pretty certain that he was ignoring instructions from guides. Any damage to his ego, face, or camera equipment were deserved.

pwned!1!
Don’t feed the bears yo, or a gorilla is going to smack a fool.

Damn jungle paparazzi probably deserved it taking pictures of a gorillas family is just going to far what happen to privacy now a days.

#FTFY 

Dance like a butterfly!

1 Like

They’re territorial and market-savvy - of course they promote Gorilla Glass.

2 Likes

5 Likes

I’m pretty sure the guy knows what he’s doing:

http://www.christophe-courteau.com/us/auteur/index.asp

TO BE A MAN
The fact that man thinks he grasps phenomena is a hallucination. The notion that “man is” is in itself a hallucination; manness is nothing but a sickness of apes.
–Roberto Matta

Via

As for ‘remanded in custody’…

I’m pretty sure he’s a dick, and cares more about the “perfect shot” than the wildlife. Thankyou for playing. They’re never letting him back in there again.

oh, why do gorillas have big nostrils?

because they have really big fingers.

(my 8 yr old daughter told me that)

4 Likes

You’re the expert.

After two years as a biologist for a French Environmental &
Agricultural Research Unit, he decided to transform his childhood hobby,
wildlife photography, as a real job.

He became professional photographer in 1995. Since, he never stopped
to travel around the world to capture & share the pure beauty of
the Wildlife & Wilderness… But not only the beauty.

Christophe attempts to show us another reality : most of these wild
creatures and landscapes are under constant assault from human activity.

So, “Being there & witnessing, that’s the job !”

His photographs are displayed worldwide by himself & by his
agencies. BIOS & Phone Nature in France, Nature Picture Library in
UK (ex-BBC) …

Christophe is an award winning photographer and has received
photographic prizes and commendations, like the BBC Wildlife
Photographer of the Year.

http://www.christophe-courteau.com/us/auteur/index.asp

I think we’re missing the big story here.

Gorillas society has reached the stage of having police officers that don’t want to be photographed.

3 Likes