Drunk tourists face 10 years for spray painting ancient wall in Thailand

Liverpool voted remain. I’d bet that these wasters probably didn’t bother to vote at all.

1 Like

image Maybe it was misplaced retaliation for vandalism against Liverpools’s ancient wall.

2 Likes

I did some dumb shit in my youth. Actually, it was more like stupendously dumb shit. Things that would have seen some of the posters above willing to send me to Thai prison for a lot longer than 10 years. I’m older now, wiser and a lot more considerate of how my actions impact others - lessons that I’m trying to impress upon my own children. Point being that 10 years in a Thai prison is a serious price to pay for a single fuck up. A disproportionate price. One could only imagine the penalty if they’d written “The King is a scousse.”

2 Likes

Also, RTFM, aka travel guide.

I would not go that far, especially since I did read more than the fucking manual. But I can’t help it but to feel a slight bit of Schadenfreude. I’m sorry, I’m a terrible person.

Yep. But still, if you do this in Thailand, you will go to jail. Seriously, one does not simply stick googly eyes on top of Barad-dûr, neither on a statue in Thailand.

No. No-one does deserve that.

I am quite certain this would be more serious.
That said, someone I met told me they call him, behind closed doors, the “Bavarian barbarian”.

2 Likes

Wow. Different time…

Assuming they actually get a 10 year sentence, they’ll serve 1-2 years before they’re booted out of the country.
I.e., the Thais are going to use this to set an example - and rightfully so - but I’m fairly confident they’re not going to be complete dicks about it.

1 Like

I find young americans who are travelling to be pretty decent people for the most part. Self aware, articulate and thoughtful.

Australian here. Young 'strayans abroad are bloody awful. I find young 'murkans who travel to be more decent for the most part.

2 Likes

I was interested in how insensitive they are to the cultural norms in terms of dress code as well. Compare what they are wearing to everyone else. I was particularly struck by the graphic on the front of his singlet/vest.

Do I feel sorry for them?ABSOLUTELY NOT. You do stupid stuff, you pay the consequences.

The thing is, had they been aware of the potential sentence, they likely wouldn’t have done it. The punishment would’ve acted as a deterrent (presumably why there is so little graffiti anywhere in Thailand). Is the punishment severe? Holy Shit yes, but that is why it (normally) works.

Seriously, there should just be a pamphlet for people traveling overseas to remind them that stupidity at home can be prison time abroad. The kids were idiots, but I do feel sorry for them. They were never faced with REAL consequences for stupidity before.

my (USAmerican) passport contains just such a pamphlet, on pages 6 and 7, including the following

1. AVOID VIOLATING FOREIGN LAWS. Remember, while in a foreign country, you are subject to its laws. Penalties for violating local laws, even unknowingly, can be more severe than in the U.S. for similar offenses.

I wonder whether UK and Canadian passports contain similar admonishments.

2 Likes

This. If I agree with

that agreement is forged by the horror of what will happen. I would love to not have to be, but until it changes, there are two options for tourists: be on your ultra-best behaviour or don’t go to Thailand. There are other places you can go where dumb, disrespectful stunts will not earn you ten years in hell. And yes, I do mean hell. Thai prisons are that bad.

5 Likes

I just don’t care about walls. I remember when the Chicago PD chased a kid off the roof of a squat for bombing graffiti. Property is a hell of a drug.

1 Like

You know what’s really, really weird? All those people visiting southern Thailand in particular, living in their tiny apparently lawless bubble and getting away with it because Thai authorities actively ignore those on behalf of the tourist industry.

Step out of that bubble for a second, and you are done.
And those idiots don’t realise this.

2 Likes

RTFA : They found the spray paint under the wall.

Right, because the assholes don’t have/want passports.

There ought to be grammar and penmanship tests before selling spray paint. There’s no excuse for crappy graffiti.

1 Like

I know the bridge! I used to head south on Atlantic to the Bookbinder’s Guild bindery in the ArtScape building that is no longer there.
The bridge is indeed a venerable structure.

1 Like

download

13 Likes